PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

New to the board

If you are new to the board please tell us about yourself...
gdkc
Answers: 0

New to the board

Post by gdkc »

Stumbled across this board while working on improving my casting and totally dig this site. I have pick up a to of info and have already applied it to my casting stroke. Headed to do some Tarpon fishing with my 12wt and have been practicing before I go on targeting, distance and my backcast. As for my skill level of a caster I can throw both say my 5wt and my 12wt right at 100ft though the 12wt didn’t come as easy at first but this site has helped me diagnose some of my flaws. One that I seem to be fighting the most when throwing my 12wt is that I can generate good line speed but it seems at times my fly tends to not turn over and collapse before it turns over. This happens on occasion and is getting better. It’s like boom the fly collapses but the running line zips through the guides until all take up. I will try to get some video at some point and see if maybe I can get some thought on my mechanics. Anyway I really appreciate all the knowledge on this board as well as Pauls video page! Thanks gd
Eagle Crest

New to the board

Post by Eagle Crest »

Hi, and welcome to the board. Tarpon on a 12wt! If you haven't already watched it, check out Tapam on Vimeo, with Daniel Goz and Jan Bach Kristensen.

-s
Veni, Vidi, Pisci
James9118

New to the board

Post by James9118 »

gdkc wrote: It’s like boom the fly collapses but the running line zips through the guides until all take up.
Hi,

Welcome to Sexyloops.
This sounds very much to me like your fly-leg is clipping the rod-leg on the way through. This can be caused by a full blown tailing loop through to a much more subtle tracking error. Either way, in such instances you will get the running line shooting out to the backing knot (or however much you've stripped off the reel) but with very poor turnover of the leader. The good news is that it's relatively easy to fix.

As an aside, when practising with heavier gear I'll always use a representative fly (with the hook bend snipped off) rather than a small bit of fluff. This can make a huge difference to how things feel when actually 'on the water'. For example casting a half chicken sized fly on a wire (as I was recently) feels very, very different to a 'normal' casting practice leader.

Al;l the best. James.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

New to the board

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi GD and welcome to the Board! I've rarely fished a 12, 10s most of the time and occasionally 11 but that's been a while. What is the Taper of the 12 wt and how does the fly collapse? To the side or vertically?

Cheers and great to have you here!
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
gdkc

New to the board

Post by gdkc »

Thanks all for the replies! So I went out and practiced a bit today and yes I am using a tied up Tarpon Leader that I would use while down in the Keys as well as a actual tarpon fly that I have cut off the hook. Been practicing targets at 40,60,80 foot on hoolohoops and backcast as well as some hero shots. Weird as of lately I did notice that I am indeed throwing some tailing loops when I get after the hero cast. Not all the time but shit enough that it bugs me. On a good cast no problem shooting to 90 and 100ft of line measured out to targets. Using a 12wt Winston Boron 3 plus with Rio Direct Core Flats Pro. Anyway I’m thinking it may be that I am applying to much force on the final FC. I am picking up line (BC/feeding line, FC/feeding line, then BC/feeding line and then final FC shooting some line. Seems like when I do slow down and don’t get all amped up bingo all goes well:) gonna try to post some footage here for your review and hopefully you wont rip me too bad but I can take critique as I want to be always better! Thanks Paul and Jim for your comments.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/gZS7JnFXiWM[/youtube]
gdkc

New to the board

Post by gdkc »

Let me see if this link works

youtu.be/gZS7JnFXiWM
gdkc

New to the board

Post by gdkc »

https://vimeo.com/269124462

Maybe this link will work
Paul Arden
Site Admin

New to the board

Post by Paul Arden »

You know that's not bad at all Greg! The line is coming through rather low. From what I can see I think there is some significant tilt away from the vertical in the casting plane. I know that many people do this, particularly if they have a heavy Clouser on the end!

What happens when you carry less? Is the style the same or different?

You can start the haul later in the stroke by the way. The time to apply force is as the rod butt passes the vertical (or even slightly later) - ditto with the haul. I would be interested to see how you cast at shorter range.

Thanks for posting - apologies for the delay!! - I was down the lake and tried to watch it but the Internet didn't let me... and then I forgot :blush:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
gdkc

New to the board

Post by gdkc »

Thanks Paul for your eyes and expertise!!! I appreciate it.

Clarification:
The line is coming through rather low. —>What do you mean by this?

From what I can see I think there is some significant tilt away from the vertical in the casting plane. —->

Our you referring to rod tilt as in say my rod is on a 45degree angle from my body VS say 90degress would be straight up an down?

I would say this casting stroke is a good representation even on say shorter casts with less haul.

Will work on the later haul. Dang this is hard to break a habit:(. I assume u mean to haul say on the FC after the rod is past the vertical plane from the BC correct. I have to figure out a way to work on my muscle memory here.

I will try to shoot some video of say a shorter cast as well!

I truly appreciate your comments Paul!!! I keep watching your video and hope it will soak in by osmosis
Paul Arden
Site Admin

New to the board

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Greg,

I mean that as the fly leg comes past your body it's close to the ground. This can happen with long carries, which is one reason I'd like to see a close shot cast!

Yep it's not easy to tell from the camera angle but yes it appears the the rod plane is significantly away from the vertical. Another good reason to see a short casting style :)

The way I cast distance is that I match the acceleration of the haul to begin in ernest as the rod butt turns over past the vertical, this is the same time I hit the acceleration button on the rod hand. Everything feels that it happens "late". Certainly the power is not at the beginning of the stroke but the rod goes \\\|/ and when it reaches the |-position that's when to hit it! (And hit it over - not straight - but turn the rod over - it's not possible to overpower after this point so long as you apply the force as a rotation.)

But we have jumped a step here because learning a nice neat squared close range casting shot is a foundation to distance. For example when you pick up a short length of line the stroke should be compact and the loop tight, which keeps everything in control. And curiously this compact stroke will throw 100ft. It doesn't out perform the open style because that ultimately goes further and it gives you line speed into the wind and so on. But it is fundamental and a lot of the things you learn from hitting at targets assist you for distance - particlulatrly loop control, trajectories and variable force.

So it would be interesting to see your style for casting at targets of a distance 20ft, 30ft, 50ft, 70ft and 100ft :)

Thanks Greg!!

Cheers, Paul

PS when did you say your next tarpon trip was?

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “New to the Board, Introductions”