PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

New to the board

If you are new to the board please tell us about yourself...
gdkc
Answers: 0

New to the board

Post by gdkc »

Thanks Paul for the reply, I will try to get some video of a 20/30/40/50/70/100 cast. I appreciate the info. I am going to work on applying the haul and power late as you say. Thinking start just short cast to develop my feel for it.

I leave for the Keys next Friday for 5 days of chasing Poons! Can’t wait to say the least :D

Thanks Paul!!!
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

New to the board

Post by Paul Arden »

Fantastic!

I tell you how I'd practise for Tarpon. I would scatter a dozen small hoops or even dinner plates through 270 degrees from 10ft to 70ft, and while standing on a bucket, practise fly-in-hand to hit the targets at random using one or no false casts.

Remember of course when taking the shot, not to look at the fish but where you want to place the fly to lead the fish, so that when the fish reaches the fly it's at the right depth. (And also very critically - that there is a target behind you that aligns directly to the forward target and you have to hit this first!)

Practising distance is a key discipline for me because it generates line speed and efficiency.

Anyway that's what I'd be doing and it will be fun too. If you fall off the bucket try something larger. :laugh:

Make sure that you thoroughly clean your line every evening. We had Shoot in the shop which really makes a significant difference. None there at the moment however but I'm in the midst of organising some more.

Here in the jungle by the way, I have a similar drill, but instead of fly-in-hand I have the luxury of using a popper, so it's popper on the water with 2m of flyline, slipped line on the lift, no false casting, targeting leaves or shoes at all angles and distances.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
gdkc
Answers: 0

New to the board

Post by gdkc »

Good practice plan Paul!! I’ve done something similar as well. I will say that I worked on my casting stroke by taking my rod angle to a more vertical approach, big difference in tracking (better) as well as fly leg much higher and tighter loops as well. I have also been working on applying the haul later vertical I/// or even past vertical before applying the haul on both BC and FC and I must say even better while maintaining a smooth stroke! It’s only when I get all jacked up and at time apply to much force to the stroke that I get tailing loops. Practice will be key of course. Need to shoot some video so hopefully tomorrow i can.

Hmmm Yes you reminded me of cleaning my line which I have not done in a few days. I know its not good to do a ton of practice with my line on grass so hopefully I haven’t totally destroyed it in this process. I just got it so hopefully a good cleaning and applying some line conditioner will do the trick as I hate to have to purchase a new one before I leave for Florida on Friday. What do you think? Think I will be ok using this line for the real shot on a poon??

THanks again for all the help! You’ve been great and I really appreciate it!

Gd
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

New to the board

Post by Paul Arden »

Hey no problems, it takes a lot to kill a line. A bit of conditioner and it will be fine!
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “New to the Board, Introductions”