PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Semi automatic reels

If you are new to the board please tell us about yourself...
Magnus
Answers: 0

Re: Semi automatic reels

Post by Magnus »

Anyway you can see the Peux is far smaller than the Shilton. Drag is similarly smaller and more difficult to get at - in the centre of the spool.
First pic also shows how much more complex the Peux is comepared with the Shilton - loads of nooks and corners for sand to lodge - where the Shilton is bigger, more space etc etc.
"Actually I can't because you are right! " Paul Arden 8/6/2019
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

[ :laugh: It's the smugmug, Magnus, it displays the URL differently. You need to move the mouse over the image and display image in a new window to find out the actual URL. If it doesn't have the file type after it (.jpg etc) then it's not the correct path.]

I imagine that sand is going to be a problem if the lever cogs are exposed. Are there any lever actioned reels where this is enclosed?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Magnus

Post by Magnus »

Paul Arden wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:06 pm That's pretty good! You'll have to be a little careful with other lines. A RIO Bonefish 8 for example has a head 10 feet longer and one AFFTA heavier (it's really a 9WT). I doubt that would fit even without the backing!

Cheers, Paul
So You'd
A) Buy a #7 line which is an #8 line
B) Cut a few yard off the reel end of an #8 which is a #9 to make space and match with your #8 rod (which is probably a #10 :) )
C) Choose a line maker who can count and a rod maker who matches rods with AFFTA line-weights.
Magnus

Post by Magnus »

I imagine that sand is going to be a problem if the lever cogs are exposed. Are there any lever actioned reels where this is enclosed?

Cheers, Paul
Yep, I imagine that too. Some semi-autos are more enclosed, Vivareli, Thinkfish, Bam - they however have the problem that washing sand out would be harder. Pumping that lever to retrieve 100yds of line while the fish turns and heads towards me, I will not catch up!

You seen the Rexfly?

Properly set up I think that's a better solution, a conventional saltwater reel and that harness. Looks like you can use the drag to play fish.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

That’s great to see that in action, Magnus - nice video! Craig uses that - he mentioned to me that the problem he has is that sometimes he has to move the fly immediately on landing, with certain fish species, and a semi-automatic reel can allow this (obviously only when casting to the reel). ie using the reel to retrieve line.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Magnus

Post by Magnus »

I used to fish occasionally with a chap who lost an arm in an industrial accident. Excellent angler, the only phase where he needed and asked for help was netting his fish. Even standing watching him I couldn't really imagine how he managed but he had it worked out.
CraigB

Post by CraigB »

Thanks for all your help. What about the Vivarelli Goldstar? Is that big enough?
CraigB

Post by CraigB »

Is Shiton a reel manufacturer? That reel site you told me about was great. Had a lot of them.
Magnus

Post by Magnus »

https://www.shiltonreels.co.za/
yes

So now you need a briar-wood hubless semi-auto?
Great resource that site.
Magnus

Post by Magnus »

Goldstar - depends on the model - I can find an #8 should have the capacity, might need thin backing. Specifications look good

https://www.negoziopesca.it/en/franco-v ... fv117.html

Return to “New to the Board, Introductions”