PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

New to the board

If you are new to the board please tell us about yourself...
nicholasfmoore
Answers: 0

Re: New to the board

Post by nicholasfmoore »

So do you tie with roadkill?
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Standing ring is quite easy. In fact there is a small trick, tilt the loop to about 45 degrees and if you are right handed aim at 7.30 on the ring assuming it’s a clock face. Loop hits the ring and the fly leg pops through. It’s possible without hitting the ring of course, but if you do it this way it should pass through every time. (I learned that from Tim Rajeff!).
That's absolute gold, i'm trying this tomorrow! To be honest i could try it now as i have the lumiline :D
thedeadskunk wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:11 pm Sorry, I mean, Can you put a very narrow loop through a small lolly pop style standing ring so that the fly line unrolls through the ring on the other side?
It's very possible to do, i'm sure Paul A could do it if he wanted to ;) maybe we could set them on fire and turn it into a spectacle? :cool: Speaking of exercises, i've put balloons round the garden, attached to trees etc, and had a 'clint eastwood' style showdown with them (timed) which was a lot of fun! Properly disposed of when finished of course.

I've never done the hoop exercise, but if i had to i'd probably use pull back on the forward cast to make a VERY narrow loop. Back hand delivery would be a cool drill, i'd then use pull back on the back cast ;) i've read that people do similar things with car windows, but i've never heard of anyone doing that. Maybe it's a myth like Steves tracking idea of scraping the tip of the butt section on a wall? :)

All the best!
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Car windows work. I think there was a letter box challenge at one point? I seem to recall someone was training for that.

The first time I went to an FFF Conclave we were doing the usual casting nonsense. I was there with Rick and Bruce and a few others. And we decided to cast through a second floor balcony window at the hotel. Well of course they came outside. We were making such a noise that the floor above came out to see what was going on and so we cast through that one as well. I believe Rick hit the sink although it might have been Bill :D

http://www.sexyloops.com/picofday/theconclave.shtml

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Letter box challenge, theres just been a car Windows challenge during lockdown, its all over instagram, some cool shots in there. When I went to Montana to take my certs we had the danish casting game at the fair, one of the posts is indeed throwing through a standing hoop, that was fun, all the instructors participated on thursday evening, and one had to drink whenever they missed a target, Paul came second...
Tim Rajeff has a fun shootout, someone throws a hulahoop ring in the air, and you have to throw a line through before it hits the ground...

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Paul Arden wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:54 am Car windows work. I think there was a letter box challenge at one point? I seem to recall someone was training for that.

The first time I went to an FFF Conclave we were doing the usual casting nonsense. I was there with Rick and Bruce and a few others. And we decided to cast through a second floor balcony window at the hotel. Well of course they came outside. We were making such a noise that the floor above came out to see what was going on and so we cast through that one as well. I believe Rick hit the sink although it might have been Bill :D

http://www.sexyloops.com/picofday/theconclave.shtml

Cheers, Paul
That's awesome! I stand corrected, i will have to try that. I saw the photos, looks like you had an awesome time! You'd be able to do that now as most of the hotels over here have been abandoned until further notice ;)

I like that idea, Lasse.

All the best!
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:

Return to “New to the Board, Introductions”