PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

non-flexible vs. flexible fly rod

Moderator: Torsten

Merlin
Answers: 0

none flexible vs. flexible fly rod

Post by Merlin »

Hi Tobias

I am not sharing you views on the role of the rod elastic energy, I'm with Bernd on this point. You can face situations where the remaining energy in the rod after line launch is higher or lower than the energy stored in the rod in transient conditions.

The angular momentum is a good reference for estimating the torque applied on the rod, I am looking at this point and I have good hopes to illustrate was Paul is saying about the comfort of rods. Very interesting insight.

If you want to compare a fly rod with a whip, ask Gordy to explain the difference in physics, it looks like but it is not similar to fly casting. He has a good documentation on this point.

If you want to talk in details about your technical paper, I suggest to deal with that outside of the Board.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Bernd,

Good to see you can keep on following the intricacies. I need some time to make some kind of synthesis, but depending on assumptions, I think one can derive different conclusions, especially about the effectiveness of a cast.

My definition of efficiency is yours.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Merlin, that makes a lot of sense to me. Fly casting is highly variable as we all know well. I cannot believe the flexible rod always to be the most efficient tool for all casts/situations. Definetly it isn't the most effective one always.
If I would want to demo the longest line in the air under tightest possible loops (in this theoretical world), a broomstick of the same mass and mass distribution like a flexible fly rod would be my choice! Even in reality I might choose the broomstick, if the demo would be about just ten minutes :D :cool: :p .
Efficiency might be lower while am ending up with a blue/green/red forearm, but I would get some impressive loops for sure. :)
Cheers Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.

Return to “Flycasting Physics”