PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Rear Tapers

Moderator: Torsten

andrewparkeruk
Answers: 0

Rear Tapers

Post by andrewparkeruk »

Would I be correct to think that Aitor's excellent video also shows the importance of hauling to maintain rod leg tension through RSP1/loop formation?

Andrew
James9118

Rear Tapers

Post by James9118 »

Aitor wrote:When casting with a shooting head it is easy to check that the longer the overhang the bigger the distance we get. That isn’t just due to an increase in line carry but to the dynamics of the loop: a longer overhang results in a longer time of loop turnover which results in more distance shot.
Hi Aitor,

This is what I was wanting to discuss in the release thread in DH casting, but we might as well do it here :D . There's a picture of Mike Marshall casting in the other thread, he's a consistent winner of the BFCC T120 event. He sets up with virtually no overhang (about 6 inches) and releases late (see photo). I can't work out how he gets it so far - I think he's some sort of wizard :sorcerer: .

James
Unregistered

Rear Tapers

Post by Unregistered »

James9118 wrote:
Aitor wrote:When casting with a shooting head it is easy to check that the longer the overhang the bigger the distance we get. That isn’t just due to an increase in line carry but to the dynamics of the loop: a longer overhang results in a longer time of loop turnover which results in more distance shot.
Hi Aitor,

This is what I was wanting to discuss in the release thread in DH casting, but we might as well do it here :D . There's a picture of Mike Marshall casting in the other thread, he's a consistent winner of the BFCC T120 event. He sets up with virtually no overhang (about 6 inches) and releases late (see photo). I can't work out how he gets it so far - I think he's some sort of wizard :sorcerer: .

James
As you know seeing is believing so I am thinking of some slo-mo at the moment. Maybe the camera says that all my explanation fits my thinking but not the real world. :)
Lasse Karlsson

Rear Tapers

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

James9118 wrote:
Hi Aitor,

James

Hi James

How far is Mike throwing that beast?

I'm pretty much with Aitor in his thinking, it's just that overhang can get too long too :)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
James9118

Rear Tapers

Post by James9118 »

Lasse Karlsson wrote:Hi James

How far is Mike throwing that beast?

I'm pretty much with Aitor in his thinking, it's just that overhang can get to long too :)

Cheers
Lasse

Hi Lasse,

Regularly over 60 metres. He only takes two or three casts these days due to his advancing years, but he's still beating us.

P.s. I managed to find the other photo's in the sequence - so I've got one that shows his fingers opening.
Lasse Karlsson

Rear Tapers

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi James

Thanks, very good distances, if you look at the top level in T120 they seem to be a bit further though.

Do you know how far Mike was casting in those pics? ANd are you going to put them up :p

Cheers
Lasse

Bernd Ziesche

Rear Tapers

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hi Lasse,
have you tried to cast a Skagit outfit with significant and with short overhang to compare?
Personally I think there is a realtionship between rod stiffness, the resistency the head provides and the best amount of overhang.
Greets
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Lasse Karlsson

Rear Tapers

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Bernd

How much is significant?

And what would that relationship be?

Cheers
Lasse

James9118

Rear Tapers

Post by James9118 »

Here's the next shot in the sequence. After saying he uses no overhang the earlier photo's show he has about 3-4ft in this cast. I've certainly seen him set up with virtually none, so maybe he mixes it up a bit. This cast was 56m - not up to his usual standard, but enough to win on a tough day for distance.
Attachments
CIMG2733.JPG
CIMG2733.JPG (42.64 KiB) Viewed 4568 times
Lasse Karlsson

Rear Tapers

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi James

Thanks! Do you know how fast your camera takes pics?

Cheers
Lasse

Return to “Flycasting Physics”