PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Hauling modeled

Moderator: Torsten

Merlin
Answers: 0

Hauling modeled

Post by Merlin »

So learning to haul during the back cast should be easier since one has a better view of tip path.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Hauling modeled

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Lou,

If this is the casting on a log video, this is the "stopless"/170 cast. I don't agree with matching casting arc to rod bend with a fully fledged distance cast because it truncates our acceleration trying to get RSP at the perfect position so that it aligns with the fly leg path when it's better In reality to continue to accelerate th tip through this point in order to generate higher line seee.

There are a few loops morphing into tails for sure. I think optimum timing is a balance point between a tail and a slightly more open loop. So it's no surprise to see them when you start pushing things - casting competitions are full of them :)

I'm not sure why hauling later was giving you a haul. I think there was some other cause that changed when you modified your haul. Hauling or spiking the power early, or trying to accelerate the rod hard during translation all cause tails and you might have inadvertently fixed one of these.

Cheers Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Hauling modeled

Post by Paul Arden »

I don't look to the tip Merlin when teaching, instead the rod butt. Personally I think it's relatively easy to learn because both haul and rod rotation can be aggressively hit at the same point. Ie midway through the rotation, when the rod butt is passing the perpendicular, the rod can be thrown around as hard as possible and the haul can be hit as hard as can be. Trying to unsynch this would be very challenging.

Cheers Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting Physics”