PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Hauling and the 170

Moderator: Torsten

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Hauling and the 170

Post by Paul Arden » Mon May 29, 2017 7:08 am

Merlin sent me a paper while I've uploaded here http://www.sexyloops.com/files/Simulati ... %20rod.pdf

I found this very interesting for a few reasons, the first is that when I sent a video myself to Gordy, of what I knew where long casts in order that we could measure hauling speed, Gordy said that my haul was peaking early. The other reason I find it interesting of course is that it stands some of what we teach in the past decade on its head with regards to timing the haul (potentially).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozVkwFTKVC4[/youtube]

At the end of this video there are a couple of loops that morph into tails - they are definitely caused by finishing the haul a tad too early - it's a fine line between a great cast and a tail! I've always thought that with the 170 the haul should aim to finish the moment the tip starts to deviate away from the line's trajectory.

Merlin and Gordy, Ashly is in KL this week but next week I'll have the possibility to shoot some video. I can run two cameras - I just need to know what to film. Incidentally I would be very interested to have some different hauls analysed. One of which I'm interested in this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UWx2mpGTHA

Thanks guys,
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Lasse Karlsson

Hauling and the 170

Post by Lasse Karlsson » Mon May 29, 2017 11:50 am

Paul Arden wrote:I've always thought that with the 170 the haul should aim to finish the moment the tip starts to deviate away from the line's trajectory.

Thanks guys,
Paul

Cool, so all the time we where arguing, where you said hauling through the stop and all, you where just pulling my leg, barstool :D
;)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

http://www.karlssonflyfishing.com

***Bring Mark back!!!!!! ***

Hauling and the 170

Post by guest » Mon May 29, 2017 12:01 pm

Not surprised either :p
Bright but shite

IANACI - There’s no such thing as absolutes

Free the Mark One ☝️

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Hauling and the 170

Post by Paul Arden » Mon May 29, 2017 12:07 pm

Well I haven't always "always thought" but for a while at least :p

Flycasting Definitions

Lasse Karlsson

Hauling and the 170

Post by Lasse Karlsson » Mon May 29, 2017 2:35 pm

:D :D :D
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

http://www.karlssonflyfishing.com

***Bring Mark back!!!!!! ***

Flybye

Hauling and the 170

Post by Flybye » Mon May 29, 2017 7:23 pm

I was waiting for the step forward :)
TK

crunch

Hauling and the 170

Post by crunch » Mon May 29, 2017 7:52 pm

I can't cast now but I had planned to video the line loop behavior when there is a tied weight, lets say 10g, to the max carry of MED which is then released / thrown back and instead of line shoot there comes a loooong pull back effect. This should do something interesting to line loop and Paul you of someone else could video it?

Esa

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Hauling and the 170

Post by Paul Arden » Tue May 30, 2017 5:20 am

Hi Esa,

I can do it but I don't understand it yet :p

Can you explain it again please? I'm not very good when it comes to metric but isn't 10g approx 40% of the total line weight? In which case I might need a crash helmet and a life jacket.

It sounds like fun and if my log is still there I can have a go this week. Are we looking for pre-load? In which case God help me :cool:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Hauling and the 170

Post by Paul Arden » Tue May 30, 2017 5:21 am

Tony - :D :D It was actually rather difficult not to body shift - I nearly went over once or twice. :p

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

crunch

Hauling and the 170

Post by crunch » Tue May 30, 2017 11:33 am

A 10g weight which you first tie to the line where you keep your line hand when you have close the max carry of a long belly line. Then when you finish the full power cast you release the weight in the end of the haul so the weigjt continues to pull the line thru rod as long as weight flies behind you. Perhaps the weight needs to be heavier so its energy keeps pulling the line longer?

The effects which happens in line loop interest me and at least it makes "the haul" continue well past the counter flex and RSP2 and vibration as well. Perhaps you need to delay the release and direct the weight more upwards than your hauling hand finishes in your normal haul. Perhaps it would be possible to measure the weight/haul velocity from a video? I think not well enough because I think it change our casting too much!

Further ideas: Caster executes non hauled casting and another guy throws the weight and its effect to rod bend (or angular velocity) during phases of casting stroke can be measured from a video when there comes a very sudden jerk to the line? Weight thrower could stand behind the caster and holds the line between his line hand fingers before throwing the weight which then rips loose and accelerates line very fast. Data would come very random but perhaps there comes something useful?

Esa

Return to “Flycasting Physics”