PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Hauling and the 170

Moderator: Torsten

Lou Bruno
Answers: 0

Hauling and the 170

Post by Lou Bruno »

Merlin
Thanks, I was hoping for a practical explanation.

Excellent work, thks.
Lou
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Hauling and the 170

Post by Paul Arden »

Merlin, something that came up a few (rather a few :p ) years ago was the possibility of the haul controlling how the rod unloads. Does your modelling give any insights into this possible phenomena?

Thanks, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Hauling and the 170

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Merlin wrote:I wish I could, Lasse, but I do not have a couple of similar lines nor practical casting site (e.g. a uniform large wall) for a decent video, where I live. It is necessary to take very different rods to see something, let's say a typical fast modern rod, and something pretty slow. For example an old Winston (the green colored ones) and a HT or Sage or Radian, etc. I do not have such slow rods. What you expect is some tail in the fly leg for the slower rod, but that also means that you should try to go to the limit for tailing, one rod failing, not the other one. Not so easy to get in practice. If you stay on the safe side for tailing, you will see nothing whatever the rods are.

I think we are approaching hair splitting here, I do not know anyone to whom I can say: 10 milliseconds sooner please, thanks. This is the order of magnitude of the problem. The difficulty in hauling is to pass the MCL point for peak haul velocity. Knowing that is sufficient to adapt one's hauling style, either by starting sooner or later, either by using a sharp or a slow haul, or both. The higher the (load) carry is, the more difficult it becomes since the moment for MCL is being delayed. And all that is a question of some small multiple of 10 milliseconds.

People who have cast soft glass rods do know that they do not use the same hauling style than for a graphite canoon.

Merlin
Hmm, this is getting old, in the clip its a berkley grayphite 25% carbon noodle against a sage tcx. I have done the same in demos since I shot that clip with other rods and atill get the same result. Guess its true, I am superhuman and can do multiple things at the same time as well as have uncanny skills in photoshop...

I give up then....

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Hauling and the 170

Post by Paul Arden »

Yes but your beard is very small... :cool:

Flycasting Definitions
Merlin

Hauling and the 170

Post by Merlin »

Yes Paul, the model can catch the influence of haul (timing, amplitude) on rod unloading. :sorcerer: :sorcerer:

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Hauling and the 170

Post by Paul Arden »

What happens? Grunde from one overlay suggested it could retard and hence straighten the tip path but from later studies wasn’t so sure. No doubt it depends on the force of the strike vs rod stiffness and line weight and the speed of the haul!

Thanks, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Merlin

Hauling and the 170

Post by Merlin »

Paul

We reviewed that situation one year ago, and Grunde's perception is right. The haul flattens the tip path, and it can delay the unloading if it is late enough.

Maybe this was discussed in the thread with Dr McGlinn (the high level scientist who set the basis of haul modeling).

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Hauling and the 170

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks Merlin.

The way I see it, timing the haul to rod unloading is less critcial if rod unloading is controlled by the haul. It would be interesting to see the effects of different hauls. I was very surprised to see Gordy’s measurements of my haul showing peak acceleration occurring earlier on and not near the very end of the haul. It would be interesting to know what effect the elbow twist that I use has on the haul, of any.

Cheers Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Hauling and the 170

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote:Yes but your beard is very small... :cool:
It might be small, but at least it knows what causes a tail ;)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Lou Bruno

Hauling and the 170

Post by Lou Bruno »

As a side note, got out my 8ft 4wt Diamondback, with 4wt DT yesterday. The rod is extremely soft, obtained consistent loops by NOT hauling.
Lou

Return to “Flycasting Physics”