PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

SOMEONE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME...

Moderator: Torsten

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Counterflex I think - it all happens to fast to be dropping the rod. And the leading point translates to max line velocity which is usually the end of the haul, but can also be RSP (without a haul).

Lou, similar topic. Let's take the SLP/line trajectory concept. We can a) try to match the arc so that RSP happens at this point or b) smack absolutely hell out of the cast so that peak rotation occurs at this point. "a" is 5 Essentials. "b" is 170. It's the difference between "flicking the tip" and throwing a ball.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Cross-posted. My loops in the video is with the HT10 and 5MED. However yes - softer is more pronounced.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H
Answers: 0

Post by Graeme H »

Lou Bruno wrote:Hi Graeme,
I understand what you're saying, then it's just that the caster is dropping (over rotation) the rod tip after RSP...nothing else is being done by caster?
Lou
Well, it's not that the caster is "doing nothing". They are making sure the rod tip returns to near the line path and stays there as the loop travels away from them.

My loops in this video are not quite the classic shape you're asking about, but in the second half of the video, where it's all slowed down, you can see the effect of the tip position after the loop forms on the rod leg of the cast. Particularly at 2:11, you see how the tip opened the loop at CF and then momentarily closed it as RSP2 was achieved (just not by as much as Paul does in his videos.) If I had lifted the tip to be close to the fly leg as the rod reached RSP2, we'd be seeing the "Sexy Loop" shape.

The loop nose sharpening up as the cast progresses is due to the line speed pulling the loop tight from the fly leg's momentum along its "straight path". High line speed is required for that to happen though.

(Once again, I see this as a very simple problem with very simple solutions. I think I'm at odds with many people here though.)

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Graeme,

The loop forming a point through loop morph is not fully understood but it probably is down to air friction. After all the point can form in the middle and even the bottom.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul, if its air friction, why does the point then stay in the same position, and doesn't change place?

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I don't follow your logic, Lasse.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Paul Arden wrote:Hi Graeme,

The loop forming a point through loop morph is not fully understood but it probably is down to air friction. After all the point can form in the middle and even the bottom.

Cheers, Paul

I'm really looking forward to discussing some of these things face-to-face soon. :)

(Like how the rod leg has no air friction on a calm day when no line is being shot, and yet we still see loop morphing.)
FFi CCI
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

I know that Paul, sometimes I don't either :p

Ok, if it's air friction, then you would expect the point to move wouldn't you? After all, its tje flyleg that has most of the momentum in the casts direction, and therfore most airfriction right? It would be logical that the flyleg would then move and the point then changes place. Haven't seen that I think.

Just read an interesting take on the bouncing bomb, that its the pronounced downwards direction at the end of the cast, that speeds up the flyleg, and causes the rodleg to go up..
For me it's a significantly faster moving flyleg, and wjat is essentially slack line in the rodleg that's being removed, I might be wrong though...

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Well I think that the point can move up. I'm pretty sure I've seen that. But I don't think that explains it as being air friction or otherwise :p I watched Gordy's spinning wheel of death on Vimeo and the loop morphs. Sorry I'm on my phone on Jungle connection otherwise I'd post it.

Mind you we were throwing some pretty tight Vs in West Yellowstone where the air is considerably thinnner.

Part 2 yes I've read that suggestion here on the Board before too. And I agree with you too. Which is strange.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lou Bruno

Post by Lou Bruno »

I was reading an archive article written by Paul, "Open loops and the 90-90 position."
Paul you say, "However by pulling down with the rod on the forwards stroke it is possible to flatten the rod with the drift on the backcast (c). This is how I cast. I get better loops this way."

Paul, any chance you can explain your technique..."pulling down?"
Lou
Attachments
rodangles.gif
rodangles.gif (2.62 KiB) Viewed 5582 times

Return to “Flycasting Physics”