PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Purchasing fly line

Moderator: Torsten

Mangrove Cuckoo
Answers: 0

Purchasing fly line

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Paul

Saying they are overweighted is being kind. In one case I am using a line 2 weights lower than what an older rod was labeled for. The newer "rock on a string" lines are even worse.

It would really be nice if the industry would adopt some sort of standard for lines.

Lasse,

"303" is a spray-on product from the marine industry. It is advertised as "sunscreen for your boat". It does a nice job of cleaning and slicking up a flyline. It makes the line float better also.

But before anyone tries it, be aware that it seems to soak into PVC lines, which changes the feel of the line rather significantly.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Graeme H

Purchasing fly line

Post by Graeme H »

I'm also a fan of the PU lines (at least, the intermediate cold water ones I own). I find them to shoot VERY well when wet and less prone to getting sticky during a session. They need cleaning less often.
FFi CCI
sms

Purchasing fly line

Post by sms »

I have several lines from the "bar furniture" company both under their own brand and made for others - these are all PU.

I thought all their floaters were crap until I tried some older (pre-ridge) tropical lines. They are great actually. And so are their pre-ridge tropical intermediates. And sinking heads (made for Guideline for example). Then again, I have delta spey and yak - it is stiff and more memory than current computers have! The same goes for their floating skagit lines, thou there is a use for them despite this...

The current ridge lines are terrible, some are too soft in the running line (tangle prone). The ridge floaters feel very dry - the GT floater is quite terrible. And ridges cut your hands.

Guideline's DH (at least sinking) shooting heads are, or used to be at least, from the same company - and these are great. The achievable sink rate (density) seems to be higher on PU than PVC also.

They do last thou, their durability is great. It seems that they could be great if they chose to do so, but they don't. There are some pearls despite - these are usually then discontinued.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke

Return to “Flycasting Physics”