PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Preload

Moderator: Torsten

Lou Bruno
Answers: 0

Preload

Post by Lou Bruno »

Can someone define preload? Is this something casters can achieve?

Cheers
Lou
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Preload

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Lou,

I think the way most people think about it, no. Pre-load is mostly the belief that the small bend created when the line finally unrolls can be captured and made advantage of in the next cast. This often is accompanied incorrectly by the assumption that casting is mostly about load (springs). I've filmed a lot of casts and I've never seen someone capture this bend and continue bending the rod, despite what they may think! When I have timed my cast to try to capture the bend it "feels" too early and the loop tails.

However if by pre-load one somehow means pre-tensioning the line, then this is possible.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
flyfisher666

Preload

Post by flyfisher666 »

However if by pre-load one somehow means pre-tensioning the line, then this is possible
Can you explain this in more detail please?

//Joakim
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Preload

Post by Paul Arden »

Not really. It's a subject that Gordy or James proposed but I can't currently find it :p I'm pretty sure it's in a pull-back thread. I'll have another look later.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
gordonjudd

Preload

Post by gordonjudd »

Not really. It's a subject that Gordy or James proposed but I can't currently find it
Paul,
It is in the "preload" thread" on the old board.

Using Merlin's model shows that starting the forward cast with some initial deflection in the rod (how you could actually do that I don't know) would actually decrease the final line speed using the same forward acceleration forcing profile.

Starting the rod forward while the top leg of the back cast still has some velocity (with the very strong possibility of cracking off the fly) would increase the final line speed for a given forward acceleration profile.

That "kinetic capture" technique is something that distance plug casters use by swinging the plug in opposite direction at the start of their cast.

Gordy
Lou Bruno

Preload

Post by Lou Bruno »

Gordy
Thanks for the link, comes in handy. I'll get caught up on this topic.

Lou
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Preload

Post by Paul Arden »

Hey Gordy, nice to see you around! I hope you are very well :) :)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting Physics”