PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

AFFTA line standard

Moderator: Torsten

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

AFFTA line standard

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

James9118 wrote:
Lasse Karlsson wrote:
ERN 5,5=27,3 m/ERN 7,4=29,2m/ERN 9,0=28,5m/ERN 11,6=28,1m/ERN 13,7=27,1m all with a longbelly 5.

Lasse
Hi Lasse,

Big carries - outstanding :yeahhh:

How many false casts do you use to determine that the carry is still under control? Also, when things start to fall apart for you how does it happen?

Cheers, James
Thanks James, hope I can get back to that standard again, those numbers where taken back with the stiff rod throws 2 meters further surfaced, so sadly not recent :blush:

I want two full cycles, two back and two forward casts that roll out. Tracking goes of, timing goes, hit it too soon, one or all at the same time :D

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

AFFTA line standard

Post by Paul Arden »

Is that with a MED, Lasse?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

AFFTA line standard

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Yes, that was done with a MED 5.

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

AFFTA line standard

Post by Paul Arden »

Excellent casting. That's where I top out with the MED - 95ft. The problem is the headlength. Anything around that is pretty unstable. In Calgary I carried 105ft. Altitude makes quite a difference.

For me where it goes wrong is when the loop clips the ground. I carry more if I stand on the car roof. But even so overhang with this line is a problem.

I don't remember measuring max carry with the HT10 but I do know I can carry 92' for several minutes.

Gourami eating figs!! Back later

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

AFFTA line standard

Post by Paul Arden »

barstool. Too slow. Incidentally I don't find the Casting Stroke to be the same for stiffer rods. Something like the TCR5 really suited an open 170-180 arc, with quite a wide power application in the second half of the arc. With the HT10 stiffness - for example - I find that the power application is through a narrower arc. I'm also using pull-back on many of my backcasts, something that with that length of carry the TCR didn't handle anything like as well.

So in some ways I will agree with you when you say that the rod you are used to performs best. However that's not to say that if you were to get used to another rod that the results would be the same!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

AFFTA line standard

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Seems like you finally got my point from way back then :yeahhh:

That is exactly why I came to the conclusion, I took out my usual rod and I performed better with that than any of the others...

My best was 102 with the rio gold competition, indoors at sealevel, at winter, I find that makes a bigger difference than altitude, though I got a shock about that coming home from Montana, carry went down alot... Most try and find a hill, a car with a roof big enough, and winter, and improve carry :cool:

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

AFFTA line standard

Post by Paul Arden »

You're not tempting me with winters! :p But I didn't know that there was such a difference. Is that the air or the line stiffness? I hear you on West Yellowstone. It took me a long while to sort my cast out too.

I think what you find is that with the 170BB backcast it is optimal with a 5MED and a rod ERN of around 7. If you use a stiffer rod you need to adjust your stroke and then it will go further. I actually prefer casting a ERN7 for fun because I prefer the stroke. But if I can reduce CF and have a rod that recovers quicker and gain a metre or two as a consequence then this is how I'll throw.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Zhongxiang

AFFTA line standard

Post by Zhongxiang »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: I want two full cycles, two back and two forward casts.
Lasse
Hi Lasse,

Massive carries! Wish I can do that one day :pirate:
Can I ask that in the two cycles what are the loops like? when I'm reaching my limit I still can repeat a bit but the loops are just ugly :( .

Cheers
Zhongxiang
Zhongxiang

AFFTA line standard

Post by Zhongxiang »

Paul Arden wrote: I don't remember measuring max carry with the HT10 but I do know I can carry 92' for several minutes.
Hi Paul,

Do you still remember that day we were casting at your back yard? How much do you reckon you were carrying with the HT10.

Cheers
Zhongxiang
Paul Arden
Site Admin

AFFTA line standard

Post by Paul Arden »

Somewhere between 88 and 92. The loops don't morph properly with less that this.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting Physics”