PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

AFFTA line standard

Moderator: Torsten

Merlin
Answers: 0

AFFTA line standard

Post by Merlin »

There are some complains but is there any data illustrating the issue? I guess some of us did some measurements before complaining.

It would be interesting to have Bruce comments on the lack of respect of the current standard, if this is effectively the case.

I wrote to AFFTA this morning and I shall see what answer I can get on that topic, the respect of the standard remains one of their goal if we believe their web site.

If some of you are in touch with rod manufacturers, it would be fine to ask them whether this trend is disturbing their work.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Neil Owens

AFFTA line standard

Post by Neil Owens »

As someone who simply doesn’t have a clue I️ see it as a marketing exercise.

So I go to a shop - what’s the chances of me getting a sales person to either let me try half a dozen lines or know what to look for? Let’s say zero.

Which quite possibly is why when people who know how to cast and have experience say at leases one of my rod/line combinations ‘casts funny’. Which is a polite way of saying i got ripped off and there’s then an awkward silence as we’re in no position to rectify this in the middle of nowhere on a river.

Anyone got a plan or solution around this? That doesn’t involve hundreds of pounds in line or rod purchases?
Lasse Karlsson

AFFTA line standard

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Daniel

Have measured plenty of lines, and in this neck of the woods, it's harder to find a line that sticks to the volunteer standard, than the other way.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
James9118

AFFTA line standard

Post by James9118 »

I believe some of this surreptitious shift to higher weights is down to manufacturers giving the majority of people what they want. This is in the knowledge that this majority have a pretty poor standard of casting (not here on SL obviously :D ).

In other forums it's quite common to see 'recommend me a line' threads for their latest super-dooper fast rod. You'll then get people saying that some 'brick on a string' type line transformed their opinion of the same rod and now they're really happy. So people go out and buy this overweight line, the retailer then obviously re-stocks and the manufacturer sees that their overweight offering is their best seller. Hence they think about how to make the rest of their range 'top sellers' too - and AFFTA quickly goes out of the window in favour of profits.

James.
Merlin

AFFTA line standard

Post by Merlin »

Hi Lasse

Can you provide a few examples of your data please, brand / type / number, and your weight measurement?

Feel free to name and shame :666:

Many thanks in advance

Merlin
Lasse Karlsson

AFFTA line standard

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Usually it goes, I have this 7 weight rod, what line should I get for it....
Oh brand D's 8 weight line is great, it goes a mile compared to brand C's 8 weight...
Brand C is a normal affta 8, and brand D is a, asyou guys so nicely call it, brick on a string... Because standard answer is always to upline by at least one, since those sticks never load properly with a line the same number as the dumb dude who makes the rods for a living wrote on the blank :yeahhh:

Cheers
Lasse

Lasse Karlsson

AFFTA line standard

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Daniel, do you really want statistics :p

I'll pull some numbers when I get home

Cheers
Lasse

gordonjudd

AFFTA line standard

Post by gordonjudd »

I'll pull some numbers when I get home.
Lasse,
In addition to mass could you also measure the diameter at 3 (or so) points on the line?

The assumption used to be that floating lines had a volume mass density of around 850 kg/m.^3. In the attempt to make lines more resistant to air drag some lines now have mass densities that are closer to the density of water (i.e. will barely float).

For example the MED 5 measurements done the Norwegian casting association show that a typical MED 5 line had a mass density of around 960 kg/m.^3.

Gordy
crunch

AFFTA line standard

Post by crunch »

Merlin

AFFTA line standard

Post by Merlin »

I had a discussion today with Jim Bartschi about lines. It happens that some customers complain because their rod does not fit their new line.
Have a look at SA website, they now indicate the weight of the 30 feet for each line, and you will see lines with the standard weight, and from half a number to two numbers above (Titan) the standard. At least you can get the information.

Now you have to hope that these weights do not suffer from manufacturing precision (statistics, you know).

Merlin

Return to “Flycasting Physics”