PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Leader limpness

Moderator: Torsten

Lou Bruno
Answers: 0

Leader limpness

Post by Lou Bruno »

I'm reading up on leaders. Does the leader material diameter change with its limpness (hardness?) So, the harder the material, the smaller it's diameter. Is material limpness related to material hardness.
Any relationship to limpness with mass?

Lou
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Leader limpness

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Lou,

Hardness/limpness can be independent of diameter. That bit I do know!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Leader limpness

Post by Graeme H »

I'm not a proper expert on these things but as far as I know (based on what I know about physics), the mass is of higher consideration that stiffness, but there should not be any sudden changes in stiffness within the system. By that I mean the butt section of the leader should be of similar stiffness to the thinnest part of the line and there should not be an impediment to bending.

It seems I can get by with limp leader materials as long as the taper of the mass is consistent. When I'm making leaders, I don't want the material to get stiffer than any section above it, but I haven't experimented enough to give you better answer.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Leader limpness

Post by Paul Arden »

I have some very stiff tippet materiel that I was given to test. It's 40lb Hatch Flouro. I've found that the stiffness is a problem. Apart from the difficulty it presents when tightening knots, it causes the loop to open unexpectedly as the leader turns over. (I would not normally use Flouro incidentally).

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lou Bruno

Leader limpness

Post by Lou Bruno »

Paul

So, would a harder material create more mass, therefore, we should use a smaller diameter?

BTW, I'm not a fan of flurocarbon.
Cheers
Lou
gordonjudd

Leader limpness

Post by gordonjudd »

Hardness/limpness can be independent of diameter. That bit I do know!
Paul,
I don't know how hardness would enter the picture, but if you are saying limpness is related to the bending stiffness of a leader section then as noted in Wikipedia:
The bending stiffness ( K ) is the resistance of a member against bending deformation. It is a function of elastic modulus (E), the area moment of inertia (I) of the beam cross-section about the axis of interest, length of the beam and beam boundary condition.I
The area moment varies as dia.^4 so that will be the dominate factor in determining the bending stiffness of a given length of leader material. As Graig Spolek noted in his article on leader stiffness:
Increasing the inherent stiffness of the material by 10% increases the leader stiffness by 10%. Increasing the diameter by 10% increases the leader stiffness by 46%!
Dr. Spolek measured the Young's modulus of different leader materials and found that the nominal modulus of nylon leaders is around 300,000 psi (2 GPa) as shown in his graph below:
http://imageshack.com/a/img922/462/J2LdiV.jpg

Gordy
crunch

Leader limpness

Post by crunch »

Lou Bruno wrote:Paul

So, would a harder material create more mass, therefore, we should use a smaller diameter?

BTW, I'm not a fan of flurocarbon.
Cheers
Lou
Solid Nylon line density is somewhere 1.05...1.10. Fluorocarbon has higher density. I have read densities 1.7 to 1.9 but fluorocarbon line is a polymer which has other ingredients which lowers the density to about 1.5

Esa
Lou Bruno

Leader limpness

Post by Lou Bruno »

Gordy

As you posted...Increasing the diameter by 10% increases the leader stiffness by 46%.

Didn't realize that, any chance making the article available?

Would you know of there being a relationship of leader stiffness and leader hardness?

Being that the mass profile of a leader is considered the most important factor in leader turnover, any increase in diameter increases it's mass...direct relationship?

Lou
Lou Bruno

Leader limpness

Post by Lou Bruno »

Gordy

Thinking about this some more. It's the leaders mass PROFILE, not only the leaders mass that is important in leader turnover.

Esa reminded us that flurocarbon is more dense then nylon. I'm assuming the denser an object the harder and stiffer...to many assumptions perhaps.

Lou
Graeme H

Leader limpness

Post by Graeme H »

I was thinking a bit more on this overnight.

If we took it to the extreme and had a rigid rod of minimal mass within the leader, it would cast terribly. So I have to revise my original thoughts and say stiffness is important. Too stiff is a problem.

I haven't found a material that has the required mass and is too limp to work though.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI

Return to “Flycasting Physics”