PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Upward Force from Form Drag

Moderator: Torsten

gordonjudd
Answers: 0

Post by gordonjudd »

If you've read anything of what I've written you'll know I talking about increasing the launch speed. It's almost like your being deliberately obtuse to avoid discussing the main issues.
James,
I am sorry that my "corrections" have seemed obtuse to you, but bare in mind I can only respond to what you say, not what you mean.

change:
but surely it's obvious that the greater the fly-leg momentum then the greater the rate of change?
to "but surely it's obvious that the greater the fly-leg velocity then the greater the rate of change?" I would have agreed with you, because the change in the momentum depends on the Vfly.^2/4.

As to the main issue I hope you agree that its is the force the results from the change in the momentum as the loop propagates that is of interest, not the magnitude of the momentum itself. As you know the magnitude of the momentum does not have anything to do with forces, but the change in the momentum does.

Gordy
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

https://vimeo.com/17266598

I can remember this from years ago...a new "loop" forms.

Loops are just artifacts, an inevitable product of the relationship between the fly leg moving forwards and the caster hanging on to one end of the rod leg. I used to think they were interesting...but they're not really. It's a pushmi-pullyu. And I agree with Graeme, no force, no momentum change.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
James9118

Post by James9118 »

gordonjudd wrote: I am sorry that my "corrections" have seemed obtuse to you, but bare in mind I can only respond to what you say, not what you mean.

Change to "but surely it's obvious that the greater the fly-leg velocity then the greater the rate of change?" I would have agreed with you, because the change in the momentum depends on the Vfly.^2/4.

Gordy
Gordy,

In my first post I noted:
just a bit more extreme in the arc used and linespeed generated (thus giving the fly-leg more momentum)
In a later one I stated:
The 170 (bouncing bomb) cast is no different from any other cast, just a bit more extreme in the speed produced in the fly-leg
So you're not correcting anything, you're being deliberately obtuse trying to pick pedantic holes in what people are saying rather than tackle the gigantic hole in the 'drag induced lift' hyporthesis.

So answer the main question - why can't I get a side cast to veer to the right?

James
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Stoatstail50 wrote:https://vimeo.com/17266598

I can remember this from years ago...a new "loop" forms.

Loops are just artifacts, an inevitable product of the relationship between the fly leg moving forwards and the caster hanging on to one end of the rod leg. I used to think they were interesting...but they're not really. It's a pushmi-pullyu. And I agree with Graeme, no force, no momentum change.
Miss a thumbs up emoji here!

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

No force? Even aerodynamics?
I think you are simplifying the issue too much. Casts would be very different without those forces.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Merlin wrote:No force? Even aerodynamics?
I think you are simplifying the issue too much. Casts would be very different without those forces.

Merlin
Should read “if there is no force, there will be no momentum change”

As far as I know there are three forces in play, gravity, friction or drag and the caster holding up the rod/line at one end...are there any more ?
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Thanks for the clarification.
Agreeing with Mr Newton is mandatory ;)

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
TrevH

Post by TrevH »

“Sir” (Isaac ...)
VGB

Post by VGB »

gordonjudd wrote: Vince,
So how would you compute the magnitude of the green vector in your diagram? Based on the tilt angle and the Fd magnitude of the drag force due just to form drag on the inclined section of line?
Gordy
Gordy

Apologies for the delay, password issues. I would use the lift equation to calculate lift (green axis) from the resultant aerodynamic forces due to the interaction of the free stream flow with the inclined section of line

https://wright.nasa.gov/airplane/lifteq.html
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
VGB

Post by VGB »

TrevH wrote:“Sir” (Isaac ...)
Not Olivia :ninja:
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching

Return to “Flycasting Physics”