PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Thinner Lines = higher speed

Moderator: Torsten

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Bernd,

And what would you do (/choose) if the criteria was speed? That’s my overriding concern here! :)

Cheers,
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd Ziesche
Answers: 0

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hi Paul,
from what I have seen in your videos...
It looks like a sinking line (sink 3-4, I think) would match best.
The line weight of course needs to match the size of your flies. If you want to go down in line diameter I'd use a pretty stiff rod helping to move a *relatively heavy* fly.
*Relatively heavy in relation to the line you choosed
Regards
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Hi Bernd

Considering the acceleration phase of the line, I agree with your point about line diameter. I made some estimates and the drag losses on the carry can be noticeable, especially if there is a headwind. That translates into several m/s of line launch speed. Coming along with this aerodynamic effect, there is the fact that a lighter line can be accelerated faster thanks to its lower inertia.

Now if you consider the roll out of a line, everything else being equal (speed, loop size), a line of larger diameter is better than a thinner one.

There is the effect of the loop size in between, and again there are antagonist trends between thin and thick lines. Loop size is influenced by rod bend and counterflex. It is difficult to know by which amount unloading and counterflex influence loop size, and nothing but videos can bring some light here.

Rod bend increases with the mass of the carry but also with the rotation speed of the rod. Counterflex increases with the "equivalent mass" of the rod and line launch speed. If we consider a lighter line with a higher launch speed how does it end up in terms of loop size? I don't know.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Merlin wrote: Now if you consider the roll out of a line, everything else being equal (speed, loop size), a line of larger diameter is better than a thinner one.
Hi Merlin,
From the theoretical point of view I understand (and agree) the thicker line to have the better mass/surface ratio.
From the practical point of view I remember a video Lasse published some years ago. If I remember correct Lasse was casting several lines all rolling out pretty much parallel. And then there was Hywel Morgan casting 30? rods at the same time.
Having seen these and tested quite some stuff myself I think we need to differentiate between shooting a line to distance and having a fixed length straightening.
When it comes to the fixed length of line straightening it seems to me the initial max speed at the start is what counts in the very first place.
In shooting to distance I agree with your above statement though.
I also agree that only some serious measurements would finally nail this down.
Regards
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Cant use a sinking line - that would slow the pickup! :laugh: For the same reason we mostly use poppers by the way.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Sounds like you need to get a silk line :p

Thinner in diameter but needs greasing to float, the maintenance is just not you :D

Cheers
Lasse

Ps. Just get faster, its you and not the tackle :cool:
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Haha I’m already the fastest draw in the West (Malaysia). I have considered a greased up Intermediate - I’m already greasing the leader (seems to make no difference with the presentation of poppers).

Cheers Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lou Bruno

Post by Lou Bruno »

A combination of level line and thinner line will result in a faster loop turnover...if so, is it correct to say a DT line, being mostly a level line, will turnover
our loop faster?

Lou
VGB

Post by VGB »

I spent a couple of days in the last week trying to cast in winds gusting 70 mph. I wish I’d brought a #2 line instead of the #6.75 intermediate.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

VGB wrote:I spent a couple of days in the last week trying to cast in winds gusting 70 mph. I wish I’d brought a #2 line instead of the #6.75 intermediate.

Regards

Vince

:D :D :D
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)

Return to “Flycasting Physics”