PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Resin

Moderator: Torsten

Lou Bruno
Answers: 0

Resin

Post by Lou Bruno »

Paul Arden wrote:I think there is a big difference in quality too, Lou. I know for example than in an HT there are four different types of carbon cloth. Three different ones are used in the blank and a fourth for reinforcement at the ferrules. Rod builders are very particular with where they buy their carbon - Japan produces very high quality.

Many years ago when I was first interested in producing the HT one of the companies I visited was David Norwich. I had a very interesting day with David showing me how rods were manufactured. His carbon cloth came from Japan and was kept in the freezer. I assume this is the same for all companies. In Spain when summer temps are too high they stop production.

Cheers, Paul
Paul...good info. I thought all fibers were the same.

Vince, I plan on reading the article you provided.

So we have different carbon fibers as well as resin.

Thanks
Lou
Mangrove Cuckoo

Resin

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Vince,

Thanks so much for that article!

Years ago I tried to pull all that together by referring back to my college textbooks and promptly gave up. I quickly realized that I did not have the chops for it.

Now I have some terms that relate to vague concepts that I "knew" but could not "speak"... just in time for me to make a fool out of myself when talking to rod designers at an upcoming show! :laugh:
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Resin

Post by Paul Arden »

When we cast a rod we are storing energy in the rod on the back cast and the first portion of the forward cast and then that energy is released on the latter portion of the forward cast by the rod.
Blimey! I didn’t expect to read this. :upside:
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Resin

Post by VGB »

Paul Arden wrote:
When we cast a rod we are storing energy in the rod on the back cast and the first portion of the forward cast and then that energy is released on the latter portion of the forward cast by the rod.
Blimey! I didn’t expect to read this. :upside:
Why not ?
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Resin

Post by Paul Arden »

Because we store and release energy on both back and forward casts. And it’s a modern paper.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Merlin

Resin

Post by Merlin »

The big spring seems to be back :upside:

Apart from this point the article is nearly OK, there are a few misconception (e.g. efficiency), but who cares?

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
VGB

Resin

Post by VGB »

Merlin wrote:The big spring seems to be back :upside:

Apart from this point the article is nearly OK, there are a few misconception (e.g. efficiency), but who cares?

Merlin
I think you are seeing conspiracy theories everywhere. :ninja: It’s a paragraph entitled strain energy and explains that when a material behaves elastically, the work done on the object is stored as strain energy in it. When the applied force is released, the object returns to its original shape. It seems straightforward to me, perhaps it’s not technical enough for here and should be put on Facebook.
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

Merlin

Resin

Post by Merlin »

Hi Vince

I refer to the sentence quoted by Paul, and I read something on the way energy is built during casting. I agree with Paul on the fact that we do not load the rod during the backcast to get the energy back in the forward cast.

This is a kind of big spring approach and there is no conspiracy, just a wrong interpretation from the author.

Merlin
VGB

Resin

Post by VGB »

Merlin wrote:Hi Vince

I refer to the sentence quoted by Paul, and I read something on the way energy is built during casting. I agree with Paul on the fact that we do not load the rod during the backcast to get the energy back in the forward cast.

This is a kind of big spring approach and there is no conspiracy, just a wrong interpretation from the author.

Merlin
Hi Daniel

You are both misreading it. I’ll break the sentence down into a sequence for you

1. When we cast a rod we are storing energy in the rod on the back cast
2. and the first portion of the forward cast
3. and then that energy is released on the latter portion of the forward cast by the rod.

He is describing a back cast followed by a forward cast, I would suggest he is leaning towards the preload condition that Server Sadik explained many years ago.

Regarding the efficiency statement, he is trying to provide a simplified description of specific modulus. It may have been better left out because nobody has managed to quantify feel yet.

Vince

Merlin

Resin

Post by Merlin »

Preload?

Thanks to provide me with Server’s paper on this point, I’m curious to read that.
If it exists, it is not something common in casting and this introduces a doubt on the understanding of the author. For him, preload is something usual then?

I stop here, we sould speak about resins :)

Merlin

Return to “Flycasting Physics”