PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Resin

Moderator: Torsten

Merlin
Answers: 0

Resin

Post by Merlin »

If you remove resin from the rod, you think that it will have no effect on the stresses and strains in a rod under load, you cannot be serious? (Also John McEnroe). Hey, isn’t quoting things out of context a lot of fun?
In my world, resin is supposed to be cured. It means that resin characteristics have little influence on the cast. Who quote something out of context?

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
VGB

Resin

Post by VGB »

Merlin wrote:In my world, resin is supposed to be cured. It means that resin characteristics have little influence on the cast. Who quote something out of context?
Maybe you should try casting Lasse’s rod that has no resin, to see if you can detect any difference in feel?
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Lou Bruno

Resin

Post by Lou Bruno »

I understand part of the resins job is to group and solidify the graphite fiber cloth. Now I've learned we have different quality of graphite cloth. That the resin contributes little to the rod's modulus...is that true for the rod's stiffness profile. Read an article that claimed the resin will "limit lateral/overall wobble."

Lou
Lasse Karlsson

Resin

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote:Lots of people used to believe it Lasse, back when Sexyloops began it was quite common!
I know Paul, many still do :D I love giving a demo, showing how little the spring adds to the cast, and then for the next demonstrater to start with: like Lasse just said, let the rod do the work :evil: , you have to bend it to the butt to get to the real power of the rod :oh: and etc.etc....

It was particular funny giving that demo next to the banner that said convert backcast energy into forward presentation last year in London :upside:

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Resin

Post by Paul Arden »

It’s just unbelievable. How can an advert like that actually make it out to the public? Maybe they really believe that, who knows!
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Resin

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote:It’s just unbelievable. How can an advert like that actually make it out to the public? Maybe they really believe that, who knows!
Public? It's been in all the magazines and if you have a look at YouTube there's a lot of clips where they will actyally say it :D one does have some pretty funny trickshots :cool:

Of course they believe it, so does the customers, " accurate from anywhere", and yet we didn't all use them in accuracy at the world championships, maybe next time :p

How I love magic physics :sorcerer:

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Resin

Post by Paul Arden »

I’d love to see their customers actually try to handle pee-load :D Every time I’ve tried the loop’s tailed. I assume this is the self deceleration mechanism (or whatever you want to call it) occurring as one is trying to load the rod. The rod is loaded, becomes partially unloaded and loads again. It would be interesting to film it to see.

I’m surprised they’ve gone down the phoney marketing route. I thought a few of their rods that I tried were rather good (even if they did explode in my hands).

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Resin

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

VGB wrote:
Merlin wrote:In my world, resin is supposed to be cured. It means that resin characteristics have little influence on the cast. Who quote something out of context?
Maybe you should try casting Lasse’s rod that has no resin, to see if you can detect any difference in feel?
Hey Vince

I haven't got a rod without resin, I have a part where the resin has been removed for a little piece ;)

Any of you ever made plywood? Pretty hard without glue :p

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Resin

Post by Paul Arden »

I think we should just start making rods out of resin.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Resin

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Thought you already did :p

3d printed rods, next big thing ;)

Return to “Flycasting Physics”