PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Swing, Spring, Whip

Moderator: Torsten

Mangrove Cuckoo
Answers: 0

Swing, Spring, Whip

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Thanks Merlin!

I think it is this 'whip" effect that I so much enjoy when casting my early graphite rods. Compared to modern rods, they are heavy in the top section and relatively slow, but they provide much different feedback when casting.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Merlin
Answers: 0

Swing, Spring, Whip

Post by Merlin »

I have the same experience as you, and since modern rods are tuned to minimize swing weight, then it is unlikely to get that feel again.

I am still looking after the exquisite feel of my G 854 before the tip broke, and there is little chance to find it in new models.The replacement tip (stiffer) is unfortunately not perfect.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Swing, Spring, Whip

Post by Paul Arden »

With these rods I like the feel they give with reverse torque. It’s a very solid slower pull-back feeling.

It’s my intention at some point to produce some cheaper rods for my village friends here in Malaysia. I’ve been considering trying to build something that is both durable and has this different sort of feel.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting Physics”