PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Excellent FP on modeling

Moderator: Torsten

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Excellent FP on modeling

Post by Paul Arden »

Interesting conversation, guys.

Many years ago I remember seeing casting simulations on the Internet. I can’t remember all the parameters but I remember them being fairly basic. Are these still available?

Thanks, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H
Answers: 0

Post by Graeme H »

Merlin wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:21 am Graeme gave an explanation for the down up motion of the loop nose in his video, but this is an interpretation, not a demonstration. Better than nothing maybe, for sure this refers to reality and not modeling and frankly speaking, we have no mean to check that with a model today, even not the beginning of an explanation with a scheme showing acting forces.

Merlin
Hi Merlin,

I think there is already a well established model for this behaviour of the line. If we aim a cast up, the loop goes up. James has modelled it in excel and mentioned it on the FP linked at the start of this thread.

I can repeat this particular experiment as often as you like.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

So isolating inertia from aerodynamic lift is going to be a challenge. But just because inertia is responsible for lift (or keeping the fly leg level or nearly so) doesn't mean that aerodynamic lift does not also exist.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Graeme

I think you speak of a ball throw model here. I have the same and it does not prove anything regarding to a (complex) line flight.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Or maybe fly line is not so complex …

😃
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

James also mentioned that the real flight of ball is far more complex! And the flight of a fly line is most certainly more complex that that. I find it very interesting that many arguments in the physics forum become so polarised. This is a good example. Just because the fly line on the backcast can have a trajectory that lifts the front to the loop, doesn't mean that drag doesn't do the same. In order to understand if drag can cause the loop to lift, or oppose gravity, then we have to find a way of eliminating the other potential causes.

It was the same with the unrolling loop. It was either momentum only or an acceleration from the shortening of the fly leg (/momentum change at the loop). It turns out that it's a bit of both. The fly leg has momentum, but also it can also accelerate. Having argued about it for so many years I'm rather surprised that its discovery/proof hasn't led to further investigation. It opens up a whole chapter in trying to understand line tapers for example.

I think that this could be another one of those. Personally I think and DOG is much less significant than relative line angles but what I don't know is if DOG is significant in itself? I think that's really what we are trying to find out. :pirate:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Good point Paul. It could be that line taper has its say as well.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Walter

Post by Walter »

Merlin wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:21 am I cannot clearly identify the models you mention and who runs them. I know a couple of models in the academic range: Gatti Bono and Wang.
Hi Merlin,

I guess it depends on whether you think Newton’s laws are a model, calculation, simulation or imagination for the description of objects in motion.
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Paul Arden wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:42 am
It was the same with the unrolling loop. It was either momentum only or an acceleration from the shortening of the fly leg (/momentum change at the loop).
Why is it momentum change at the loop? The fly leg has momentum and energy. Conservation of energy explains the acceleration. Losses due to air resistance explain why it doesn’t accelerate to infinity.
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I don’t think it is momentum change at the loop; that’s just one way of calculating it. But you guys are the engineers and physicists, so you should be explaining it to me :pirate:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting Physics”