PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Miscellaneous (bead chains, string shooter, whips)

Moderator: Torsten

Torsten
Answers: 0

Re: Miscellaneous (bead chains, string shooter, whips)

Post by Torsten »

Isn't this a great topic title? Any sex shop owner would be impressed. I've cleaned a bit up, because it got really OT.
I don't know if I've done the best of surgery, but tried to keep postings close to the topic.

Please open up a new topic next time or post in the right topic (e.g. stringshooter in the dedicated thread).

Thanks,
Torsten
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

I am not entirely happy with the surgery. The discussion was relating an experiment to test lift using bead chain as the null hypothesis. Now I’ll need to post results in at least two threads and the discussion leading up to the experiment will be missing from one of the threads.
FFi CCI
Graeme H

Re: Lift force acting on a fly line

Post by Graeme H »

Either you did not understand the importance of that experiment or you chose to not believe it. I guess what they say about horses is true for people as well.
What? That horses have large genitalia? Thanks, but that’s beside the point. :)

It’s interesting that you’ve elected to make this argument in support of your theory, even though I clearly telegraphed what my response would be.

The string shooter is not a good analogy for lift in a cast because upside down loops can be cast.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

OK I'll see if I can move this to a separate bead chain thread. But today I'm really too tired!
Please open up next time a new thread early, so I don't have to split up.

Thanks,
Torsten
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Torsten,

The discussion was about lift. Bead chains, whips and horses were examples used to illustrate the points being made.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Walter

Post by Walter »

Horses have lift

But I thought the thread was turning into a discussion about free energy.
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

It’s funny I was recently on the phpbb forums and I was pulled up for using the terms thread and topic interchangeable. Apparently this is not a threaded forum :D Something like Facebook is threaded. https://documentation.brightspace.com/E ... _topic.htm

Personally I think it’s a mute point and while I understand the importance of keeping a discussion on track often having a couple of threads running through the same discussion can be useful. Another option would be to change the original topic title to include both. :D

That said I’m comfortable with this approach to see where it goes. If we can stick to topic as Torsten wants opening new topics as required I’m keen to see if this workspace is an improvement. It’s a slightly different way of thinking and it will certainly make life easier for the casual reader.

No doubt it will take me a while to adapt because I’m master of alternating threads. :pirate:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Walter

Post by Walter »

Torsten wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:16 pm Isn't this a great topic title? Any sex shop owner would be impressed. I've cleaned a bit up, because it got really OT.
I don't know if I've done the best of surgery, but tried to keep postings close to the topic.

Please open up a new topic next time or post in the right topic (e.g. stringshooter in the dedicated thread).

Thanks,
Torsten
Going back to the original thread about lift I think you should also break that up as well. Maybe start two separate threads. One to discuss the possibility of lift due to momentum flux and the other discuss the possibility of lift due to aerodynamic affects. Trying to design experiments will be difficult to prove or disprove either one of we keep waffling between the two.
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
gordonjudd

Post by gordonjudd »

Trying to design experiments will be difficult to prove or disprove either one of we keep waffling between the two.
Walter,
I don't see this as an either/or situation.

I think both effects will produce lift.

In the case of the Rowen's cast I think the y momentum flux change would have been the larger effect. But I am reserving that assessment until Merlin and Torsten comment on the concept.

Gordy
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Who is Rowen?
FFi CCI

Return to “Flycasting Physics”