PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

AFFTA Line classification floating vs. sinking lines

Moderator: Torsten

Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:56 pm

Hi everyone,
the AFFTA still uses the old method of line classification of the former AFTMA.
In that method we measure the first 30 feet of fly line (without the level tip that is) and then get the weight.
The weight will give us the line class.
Having the line class should help us to adjust the rod to the line or in other words to find the right rod for the line.

Since all this is about the amount of rod bend we will create and therefore have to control while producing the desired line speed (mainly) by rotating the rod, I was wondering if using the same weight range (in relation to the class) for floating and all the way down to heavy sinking lines is a good idea?

Heavy sinking lines have a significant higher density. This means less surface while having the same weight. Less surface means less friction (air/coating). Less friction means less resistance and so it also means less rod bend!

Personally I would make an adjustment in the best matching weight for my rod in relation to the density of my fly line in order to create the level of rod bend I feel best with!
What do you think?

Thanks
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.

James9118

Post by James9118 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:31 pm

Hi Bernd,

So you would go for ever more bendy rods as you went up in line density?

I think for most, they wouldn't have less bend - they'd have more linespeed :) .

Cheers, James.

Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:00 am

Hi James,
that's a good point to take into account!

Besides that changing from a floating line to just a slow sinking line while having the same profile and the same line weight on both lines results in a huge difference in feel for me.
The sinking line feels much lighter... I probably automtatically will increase line speed a bit since the sinking line will fall faster anyway. But after all a little more weight on the sinking line feels pretty good to me, too. :cool:

Seems as if not too many have really come across this point yet?
Greets
Bernd

Michal Duzynski

Post by Michal Duzynski » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:38 am

Hi Bernd.
In your FP you wrote that GT 125 6wt , weights 11.4g in the first 30' ,.can I ask you if you if you know how much weights MED 6wt. I just dont have a scale
cheers
mike

Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:01 pm

Hi Mike,
9,4 gramm 5wt. (brandnew)
10,7 gramm 6wt. (older one)
So both match AFTMA.
Greets
Bernd

Michal Duzynski

Post by Michal Duzynski » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:31 pm

Hi Bernd, thank you,
just one more thing- sorry of changing the subject in your thread, but its only for this last questions.
If Im using Barrio GT125 6Wt in a 6wt competition, and I got checked, would I get disqualified becouse of the 11.4g of GT, or would I fit?
cheers
mike

Marc Fauvet

Post by Marc Fauvet » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:01 pm

yes...
Attachments
affta.jpg
affta.jpg (155.24 KiB) Viewed 5839 times

TrevH

Post by TrevH » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:10 pm

The thing I like about the AFFTA scale that is it is prescriptive, despite the fact that many line manufacturers ignore that.

I would not be in favour of a system that brought an element of subjectivity into the line rating system.

Facts are facts and I can decide on what I do with them, taking into account whatever other information I have, including things like line density, profile, head weight, anticipated use etc.

I object to line manufacturers selling a line that purports to accord with a particular AFFTA rating but which clearly doesn't. That, to me, is misrepresentation. If they don't agree with the system, fine, don't use it. But don't misuse it.

I understand the system has its limitations and weaknesses and I am all in favour of more information on the packet. I find that really useful, but again, only as long as it is accurate (and I am not sure that is the case so, in my sadness, I have a micrometer on order - don't say anything - I know you guys all have them :evil: )

Most people can cope with the understanding the AFFTA scale deals with the first 30 feet of line and has to be viewed in that context and it is not a huge leap to factor line density into that.

Unlike most on this board, I can remember what it is like to be a "normal" fly fisher. My geekiness is a fairly recent development, as I am sure you worked out :) (although I am not pretending that makes me a better fisher).

Cheers
Trev. :)

TrevH

Post by TrevH » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:12 pm

Hey .... While I was writing my last post, Marc posted one, and I got asked if I wanted to review my post in the light of that. That's a pretty cool function :)

Barrio

Post by Barrio » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:19 pm

Hi Michal

Bernd is a member of the Barrio Pro Team and many of the lines that he has and uses are in fact prototypes, these are not always the same weight or profile as the final retail product ;)

Best wishes
Mike
Barrio Fly Lines : At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Return to “Flycasting Physics”