PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Fly rod guide selection

Moderator: Torsten

Merlin
Answers: 0

Re: Fly rod guide selection

Post by Merlin »

Hi Paul

Depending of the assumptions I use for guide characteristics, I can find the snakes stiffer than single foot and vice versa. They both stiffen tips a little bit, but IMHO that should be hardly visible on a full rod.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Gordy

When studying spine a few years ago, I discovered that mismatching NBPs was an attractive solution to make fly rods less sensitive to assymetries. For example if you have a four piece rod you turn NBPs by 90 degrees from the previous one, or by 120 degrees if you have a three piece rod .

I was happy to show that to a friend manufacturer of mine who told me that such methodology had been in practice for years. I rediscovered warm water again.

I would not recommend that for a big game rod.

Merlin
gordonjudd

Post by gordonjudd »

When studying spine a few years ago, I discovered that mismatching NBPs was an attractive solution to make fly rods less sensitive to assymetries. For example if you have a four piece rod you turn NBPs by 90 degrees
Merlin,
Since the spine is dominated by the butt section I would think you could minimize the total effective spine by turning all the top sections 90 degrees to the spine direction of the butt section regardless of the number of pieces.

As noted in that older thread the tip will tend to bend in the direction of the pull from the line when you are casting so I am not sure how the dynamic spine would actually impact casting accuracy. In that regard I wonder if Sage found that the tip wiggles they show in their Konnectic marketing blurb actually happens.

Gordy
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I believe Redington did this spine reversing. At least that’s what Jim Murphy told me about 25 years ago. It’s funny I twist my rings all over the place. Generally to 45 degrees, but in the HT10 I use three different angles. I’ve been doing this for over 20 years, both fishing and casting. But if I am casting mostly over the other shoulder I twist them the other way :D

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Yes Gordy, the key is in the NBP of the butt section.

I do not subscribe to the Konnectic theory incidentally, this is another kind of strange technical argument used to impress customers.

Merlin
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Sage freely admit they build their rods to "look straight", not honour the spine. That shows their claim for their "Konnetic" technology to be somewhat questionable, since they are not aligning any mechanical property in their blanks.
FFi CCI
gordonjudd

Post by gordonjudd »

Yes Gordy, the key is in the NBP of the butt section.
Merlin,
And to minimize the overall spine magnitude wouldn't it be better to twist the upper two sections in a three piece rod by 90 degrees rather than 120?
Gordy
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Gordy

Those two options appear to be equivalent (at least for the example I worked on) and very good.

Merlin

Return to “Flycasting Physics”