PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Spanish experiment

Moderator: Torsten

VGB
Answers: 0

Spanish experiment

Post by VGB »

Just for interest sake, a comparison in Dynamic Amplification Factors:

“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Merlin

Spanish experiment

Post by Merlin »

Hi Vince

Can you please remind us what zeta is: a dampening factor?
In Lincast the ratio (I hope we speak of the same thing) is in cell D42.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
VGB

Spanish experiment

Post by VGB »

Yes Merlin it is damping

regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

VGB

Spanish experiment

Post by VGB »

Merlin
Notice the effect of damping on the natural frequency! It decreases from its undamped value by a factor of 1 − α2.
Dynamic Systems

The hard stop pushes the damping towards 0 and increases the damped frequency.

regards

Vince

gordonjudd

Spanish experiment

Post by gordonjudd »

Grunde,
I hope you can give your view of why the spring produces a peak acceleration force on the brick that is nearly twice as large as the force produced by the string.

As noted in the other thread:
Grunde thanks for pointing out my error. So how do you think about the lag in the deflection of the spring for an an applied acceleration (not force) change to the spring?

In Aitor's experiment wouldn't the initial acceleration force on the lead mass be .49 N while the initial spring force would be zero?

How do you explain the force increase that is related to the the overshoot in the deflection of the spring as compared to the force from the string? That is the phenomena that most readers do not understand, and something I am not able to explain.
Thanks for taking the time to explain the overshoot phenomena and its impact on the acceleration of the line in casting.

Gordy
VGB

Spanish experiment

Post by VGB »

gordonjudd wrote:Grunde,
I hope you can give your view of why the spring produces a peak acceleration force on the brick that is nearly twice as large as the force produced by the string.
Gordy

I have seen you use the term "acceleration force" before, what does it mean?

Vince

gordonjudd

Spanish experiment

Post by gordonjudd »

Vince,
In this case it refers to the f=-kx force from the spring that is providing the force that causes the brick mass to accelerate. i.e. f_spring=mass_brick*a_brick so a_brick=f_spring/mass_brick.
Gordy
Walter

Spanish experiment

Post by Walter »

gordonjudd wrote:
Vince,
In this case it refers to the f=-kx force from the spring that is providing the force that causes the brick mass to accelerate. i.e. f_spring=mass_brick*a_brick so a_brick=f_spring/mass_brick.
Gordy
Gordy - I'm going to blatantly plagiarize Magnus because he said it so well:

I have no idea what you just said :)
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.

Return to “Flycasting Physics”