Global Warming

Forum for discussing fisheries conservation and other environmental issues related to fish, wildlife, watersheds, and aquatic ecosystems.

Moderators: mattklara, Harps

Global Warming

Post Number:#11  Postby VGB » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:30 am

Can anyone think of a political system without a wealthy elite? We'll be voting for the Soylent Green Party next to save the planet.
Bright but shite

IANACI - There’s no such thing as absolutes
VGB

Global Warming

Post Number:#12  Postby James9118 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:35 am

VGB wrote:Can anyone think of a political system without a wealthy elite? We'll be voting for the Soylent Green Party next to save the planet.

Why don't we make it like jury service and just randomly select from the population?
James9118

Global Warming

Post Number:#13  Postby Flybye » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:09 pm

Sounds reasonable James after all we generally know f***k all about who we now vote for except, a bit of news and tele coverage
:cool: :cool:
Flybye

Global Warming

Post Number:#14  Postby VGB » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:36 pm

James9118 wrote:
Why don't we make it like jury service and just randomly select from the population?

I'd want a menu, just like any quality restaurant. Ginger beard is an acquired taste.
Bright but shite

IANACI - There’s no such thing as absolutes
VGB

Global Warming

Post Number:#15  Postby Paul Arden » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:37 pm

I wonder if the poor in the West nowadays are richer or poorer than their predecessors? Here in parts of Asia the idea of being poor I think is rather different to the West, and in Africa I’ve seen extreme poverty. The idea of anyone having a house and a car and food in the fridge suffering from poverty I find very strange.

Of course it’s always someone else’s fault. Politicians, foreigners, the elite. But at the end of the day we’re not all going to become millionaires with a big house and a swimming pool. Quite frankly I don’t think that is what life is about anyway and people have been watching too much Hollywood.

However it does raise a very concerning question. Even if politicians decide to raise taxes on products that create green house gases, and not sweep the problem under the carpet, how can it be made acceptable to the general public who feel deprived?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration... Bring Flyrods
Flycasting Definitions
Sexyloops Shop
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Global Warming

Post Number:#16  Postby Paul Arden » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:56 am

This is an interesting point https://www.quora.com/If-we-took-all-th ... ryone-have
If all the world’s wealth was divided equally we would have 34,000 USD each.
It's an exploration... Bring Flyrods
Flycasting Definitions
Sexyloops Shop
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Global Warming

Post Number:#17  Postby Morsie » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:12 am

Can anyone think of a political system without a wealthy elite?
No, but I can think of quite a few who killed off their wealthy elite. Everyone felt better for time but one way or another a wealthy elite will inevitably rise - think Animal Farm. Be careful what you wish for.

The huge gorilla sitting in the corner of the room is population. There will be no fish left in the oceans to feel the impact of climate change because we've harvested them all - climate change won't kill them out - we'll do that. The Amazon will be gone because we turned it into farmland to help feed the planet etc etc etc.

We seem to have no real wars anymore (hooray), science seems to be able to cure any new disease that arises, and populations stressed by social disruption just move elsewhere. But pretty soon there won't be anymore "elsewhere's" and those moves will probably create wars anyway.

These are the good old days.
Morsie

Global Warming

Post Number:#18  Postby Merlin » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:49 am

Hi Paul

Thanks for the link, another wrong good idea I’m afraid. Soon there will no wealth to share anymore. Economic laws are also strong by comparison to physics.

The question is to find the balance.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Merlin

Global Warming

Post Number:#19  Postby Graeme H » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:41 pm

Morsie wrote:These are the good old days.

Very true Morsie. It’s not going to get much better that we have it now (at least for Aussies.)
IFFF CCI
Graeme H

Previous

Return to Daily Planet