PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Tasmanian wilderness no more.

Forum for discussing fisheries conservation and other environmental issues related to fish, wildlife, watersheds, and aquatic ecosystems.

Moderators: Harps, mattklara

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I think you're a little bit older than me Lasse, certainly you look it :p I was born in 1970 when the population of the world was 3.5 billion. In less than 50 years it's now more than 7 billion. If you look back at fishing TV programmes in the 60s they were talking about a decline in fishing due to overcrowding... back then!!! We are the problem, which it's even more important to have places that are wild and special because they can only be reached by foot.

I remember people saying to me, "but what happens when you are too old to walk in?' (NZ Backcountry). Then I won't bloody well go!!! The reason to go there is to get away from all this shit in the first place.

We need more angry people!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Boisker
Answers: 0

Post by Boisker »

Agreed...
But I think more ‘passionate people’ would be a better description....
‘More angry people’ makes me think of rednecks with a gun :D
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Would be one way of bringing down helicopters :D

Flycasting Definitions
Gilgamesh

Post by Gilgamesh »

It's the same everywhere, we're facing the Chinese plundering the Rosewood (and others) of Southern Africa, useless grant-chasing NGO's misreporting animal numbers, corrupt trophy hunters also chasing money any way they can.

I've seen severe changes in my life time.

:sick:
Geenomad

Post by Geenomad »

Follow up.

The Central Highlands Council voted against issuing a permit 6-3. The Tasmanian premier is blurting about strong grounds for appeal. The federal government is facing the boot at the next election and ain't saying nuttin' because one of the main reasons for their impending loss is a failure to do anything meaningful about climate change.

https://www.examiner.com.au/story/59243 ... -proposal/

Cheers
Mark
"The line of beauty is the result of perfect economy." R. W. Emerson.
https://thecuriousflycaster.com
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

That’s excellent Mark. I had heard some of the good news from Zuie. Thanks for the update. :yeahhh:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Flybye

Post by Flybye »

I first went to tassie in the 70s, then you could get considerably further than Alexander, in fact almost anywhere, in an old Holden EJ. I re visited in the late 90s there was an F***ing great billboard and massive hotel at the end of the track from great lake anouncing the "wilderness". The track was so rutted from towing boats and morons who should never be allowed to drive 4x4s that access beyond was impossible without a truck. I meet an old aquaintance in Cressey who told me that every fisherman up there was a "Guide" now and they were ripping the arse out of the place.
I am sure the fishing is still marvelous but the peace has gone with the new " Adventure Anglers" need to get everywhere so quickly and back to the lodge to measure up. No tent and walking boots anywhere with the new logistics
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I was there ten years ago, so considerably after that, Tony. I suspect they might have sealed a few of those roads, and then I was back again last year. The biggest change I noticed was that everyone has a huge flats boats now! The fishing has changed too. Where I had been fishing 6lbs I was fishing 4lbs and where I was fishing 4lbs I was fishing fine. That was interesting.

The 2000 lakes wilderness area was disappointing. 10 yrs ago it felt remote, now it’s BS. On sunny weather Julian’s is a big parking lot of 4x4s.

There we are trying to promote fly fishing, and then once we have, we realise it was a bad idea :D That’s why I fish Royal Belum nowadays and not where I really fish. I’m starting a website called Belum Fly Fishing and I don’t even fish there. In fact I’m thinking about calling it Thailand :D

I do like Miena though. I realise it’s a bit fucked up now. Hairy was telling me it was too busy now for him. And yeah I can see why. I think he was actually the first guide there. I tell you a funny story about him - he was guiding a guy who just was a bit of a prick. And so he said to him “get your stuff together and I’ll take you somewhere special tomorrow”. And he drove him off the mountain and back to the airport and said “Now Fark Off!!!” :D :D :D

I haven’t had to do that yet, but I did once have to take someone to all the wrong places because we was GPSing all my spots with the idea of guiding them himself!!! He didn’t catch any fish - there’s a surprise - and he’s never been back either!! :cool:

I’m pleased I trout fished when I did and wouldn’t change any of it. But if I never fish for them again I won’t miss them. Mind you, I did do rather a lot of it! Having said that, if FIPS accept our Malaysian team entry then I’ll fish Tassie again in Dec and I hope to catch a hell of a lot!!

You should come over to “Belum” mate. This year is packed now, but next year woild be fantastic.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Flybye

Post by Flybye »

I would love to Paul, so it will happen
TK
Paul Arden
Site Admin