PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

New Zealand and Ronan’s Report

Forum for discussing fisheries conservation and other environmental issues related to fish, wildlife, watersheds, and aquatic ecosystems.

Moderators: Harps, mattklara

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

http://www.sexyloops.com/blog/2018/09/2 ... -can-help/

What’s the story behind this?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
al greig
Answers: 0

Post by al greig »

Copied from an NZ forum. These seem to be the issues that has everyone in a funk - not without cause.

Clause 5 gives DOC’s freshwater fisheries management plans priority over Fish & Game’s fish and game management plans.
Clause 5 allows the Minister to adopt a national freshwater fisheries management plan which prevails over Fish & Game management plans.
This is despite both plans having the same legal status under the Act.
Clause 5 would allow DOC to remove all trout and salmon from particular rivers or lakes, even if those waterways have been identified as significant trout and salmon habitat. This is likely to result in catchments where DOC, Iwi and regional councils can establish management regimes which exclude trout.
Clause 6:

Clause 6 exempts anyone authorised under Treaty settlement legislation from restrictions on taking, possessing or selling sportsfish.
Clause 6 allows the Crown and iwi to set aside present rules as part of a treaty settlement.
Clause 6 allows the removal of present bans on the sale of fishing rights.
Clause 6 allows the removal of present bans on the sale of sports fish.
Clause 6 removes the requirement for occupiers of land to comply with trout fishing rules and regulations, although they would still need a licence.
Clause 6 opens up the potential for direct conflict between Treaty settlement legislation and sports fishing.

Clause 17:

Clause 17 revokes several existing regulations allowing Fish & Game to manage trout and other sports fish.
In particular, Clause 17 would no longer require a Fish & Game region’s consent for the release of fish or ova, or transfer of sports fish and ova between the North and South Islands.
The Bill reduces Fish & Game’s right to be consulted as managers of sports fish to the same level as any member of the public.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Sounds like a recipe for disaster. I fish for Galaxids in Tasmania (and caught a couple in NZ too). Not much of a sporting fish I have to say - they tend to fly past your ear when you hook them.

Not being able to sell trout was a stroke of genius.

I had a great time of my life fishing NZ for almost 20 seasons. It would be a shame is people fuck it up for future generations of people like me.

It would be interesting to hear the other side of the argument.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Always interesting topics where groups have a very personal interest.
The NZ fishery is very special and needs protecting, but at heart it is all introduced non-native species.
NZ doesn’t have a massive range of freshwater species, just over 50, of which 31 are endemic... they are of no interest from a sports fishing aspect... but 31 endemic species, that really needs some some careful consideration and protecting. From a quick google I was amazed to see that the NZWildlife Act of 1953 gives no protection to freshwater species... it would be interesting to see if there are any planning permissions requirements that take their habitat requirements into consideration... I doubt it.

So I would argue that NZ has an international responsibility to protect its native freshwater species... it shouldn’t all be about ground nesting birds :D

But.... I make no comment on the interaction between DoC and F&G as i’m Not a kiwi and how they legislate to protect their wildlife is up to them...
tomo

Post by tomo »

Not a lot of new news regarding this since it all came to light last week. DOC (argubally the worst of nz's govt departments) https://www.newsroom.co.nz/2018/07/12/1 ... s-revealed has tried to bypass fish and game, to "protect" native species.
This is their research which is flawed on many many levels its beyond belief.
https://www.doc.govt.nz/globalassets/do ... entire.pdf

Whitebait fishing (netting) in nz is completely unregulated. problem 1.
Native fish spawning habitat is declining at a huge rate due to farming practices and water extraction. BIG problem 2.

DOC can not have any power over fish and game who has fought for water quality for two decades, DOC is essentially now on the same side as industrial dairy.

Lots of big picture stuff going on here beyond the simple trout vs whitebait argument.

Hope this gives you some more insight, but it is in fact a complete disaster and we are doing everything we can over here to stop it...

Cheers, Tom.

Return to “Daily Planet”