PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Squeezing fish for the pic

Forum for discussing fisheries conservation and other environmental issues related to fish, wildlife, watersheds, and aquatic ecosystems.

Moderators: Harps, mattklara

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Squeezing fish for the pic

Post by Paul Arden »

Just imagine if every bonefish you’ve seen held has died within three weeks.
Attachments
13C42956-9270-4777-95D8-4A6954C12637.jpeg
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Definetly not a nice thought!

But I'd like to know more about the test, was that tiny pen used for 160 bonefish at the same time? How was the no handling done? How was the handling done?

Right at the face of it, its a great sell for no gill net fishing for a valuable ressource and a great sell for having to use someone to "handle" the fish...

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

That’s why we need to get in touch with the author. Another question I would have would be how how were the fish handled that were tagged without handling?

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Paul Arden wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:14 pm Another question I would have would be how how were the fish handled that were tagged without handling?
"4 Caught with fly rod, handled with plastic protection and tagged" says the presentation.

Your bare hands appear to do much of the damage. Many years ago (when I was still fishing on the dark side) we never handled a live marlin bait with bare hands, as your hands left visible marks on the fish.
Either use gloves or a Moana Kofe hook release when releasing bonefish (although the pictures on the MKHR are often not too impressive :laugh: ).
Jon
  
  
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

I suspect a bit of bias in this "data".

There is an organization here in South Florida... "The Bonefish and Tarpon Trust"... aka "BTT".

They are a nonprofit scientific/ environmental organization dedicated to studying said species, with the goal of protecting and, if possible, improving their stocks. Likely, with the same underlying but unspoken goal of protecting the business interests hinging on those stocks.

I believe BTT's data shows quite different results, as in that well-handled or tagged bonefish have a very high survival rate. Granted, there is no (legal) gill netting of bonefish in Florida, nor any inshore netting what so ever. So, it is not exactly apples to apples.

I will say the photos of the tagged bonefish looked like a horror show. Were they tagging the fish or beginning to fillet them??? The tagging of a fish, at least what I have seen, requires little more than a large needle to be inserted near the dorsal fin.

Might their tagging technique have had an effect on the outcome? Their admitted observations of the wounds would seem to indicate as much.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I’d have some other questions such as were the hands clean and wet. Still it’s a pretty staggering result to have them all die. Would most definitely mean that anglers need wear gloves to protect them. And then there would need to be studies as to which material is best. It would be an excellent case for some sort of rubber net.

Hard to believe this study was conducted 13 years ago and this is the first time I’ve read it. I would love to see one f those other studies, Gary.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Will

Post by Will »

Yep, more info definitely needed.

I remember talking to Mike Ladle about Mackerel years ago. He was asked to catch some fish for the local sea aquarium (rod & line).

He said that the only way he could get the transferred fish to survive long term was to not touch them at all.
Lineslinger
Barrio Pro-team
SGAIC
AAPGAI

"The only advice it is necessary to give the angler… is to avoid any approach to foppery, as trout have the most thorough contempt for a fop…”
WC Stewart
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

There are more studies as a quick google will show (not my field of expertise). Some relate only to a relatively short period (and deal in part with predator fatality after release - which was removed from the equation in Yeeting's study), but some are more similar.
https://www3.carleton.ca/fecpl/pdfs/FME ... 202007.pdf
I do find it interesting how differing interest groups are connected to various studies. I suppose we all tend to rely on the one that suits our personal beliefs and interests.
Will wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:45 pm He said that the only way he could get the transferred fish to survive long term was to not touch them at all.
IMHO from a catch and release aspect the most important conclusion in the paper.
In short I have not stopped catch and release (in the interest of fish survival) but I have stopped touching the fish (almost entirely, even with clean wet hands) during release.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Which gloves do you use, Jonathan?

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

I very seldom use gloves particularly for the purpose Paul, although I do generally fish in gloves (at my age skin cancer is a concern).
For smaller fish (most of what I catch) such as bonefish I use a Moana Kofe hook release which I first saw (and purchased from the late Moana) on Kiritimati some years ago. Not not easy to get in Australia. Pretty useless for photos but if the fish is mouth hooked (certainly with a barbless hook which I generally use) it has a 100 % success rate and you can use it without really removing the fish from the water. I got my more recent ones from Gavin at Tie'n'Fly, and they come in two sizes.
https://www.tienfly.com/store/p341/Moan ... _-Out.html
For usage (rather than me try to explain) see
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2649/ ... E_TOOL.pdf
They work really well, although with a deeply hooked fish (bonefish on fly, in my experience anyway, are almost never deeply hooked) I may on occasions have to resort to touching, but at least with ordinary fishing gloves (those with no finger tips) and try to limit skin contact.
Jon

Return to “Daily Planet”