PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Climate Change

Forum for discussing fisheries conservation and other environmental issues related to fish, wildlife, watersheds, and aquatic ecosystems.

Moderators: Harps, mattklara

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Climate Change

Post by Paul Arden »

A good although sobering read.

Australia bushfires contribute to big rise in global CO2 levels - UK's Met Office
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-clima ... KKBN1ZN0BR
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Norway...

No snow in winter? Norwegians make it instead
https://reut.rs/38EyU9A

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Have a look into the Alps... They've been doing it for decades, and its only getting worse there, the loss of frost are causing stone avalanches as the ground no longer holds together ☹️
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I found it interesting to read that we have passed what was thought to be an unthinkable tipping point...
Concentrations of CO2 in the Earth’s atmosphere have already far surpassed what scientists consider to be safe limits.

At a climate summit in Madrid in December, U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres warned that 400 ppm had once been considered “an unthinkable tipping point.”

The last time there was a comparable concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere was between 3 and 5 million years ago, when the temperature was between 2 and 3 degrees Celsius warmer and sea levels were 10 to 20 metres higher than today, scientists say.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

When the other greenhouse gasses we release/produce are also factored into that to give a CO2 equivalent, we are now over 500 ppm CO2e.

In other words, if the effect of those gases were added to the current CO2, we’re at just over 500 already.

(I’m on my phone right now, but I’ll find a reference for that later)
FFi CCI
Limpe Iven

Post by Limpe Iven »

Deforestation. older article..

https://www.mo.be/en/report/europe-s-la ... -factories

just recieved an quarterly report on my energy bill, says it's half of a similar household, my waste, compared to other households, is about a three quarters less.
on sundays i like to take a ride on my fossile fuel powered motorcycle, no particular place to go, just for the fun of it.
i take a bicycle to go to work.

then i read this https://radio.wosu.org/post/fracking-ex ... y#stream/0

Enough articles to be found everywhere but whenever i read them i ask myself " what can i change?".
And at the same time realizing that i am a hypocrite, ticket for the flats booked, going fishing to feel better.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I find it ironic that the root cause of our problems - overpopulation - is driven by a need to pass on our genes lest we become extinct :D

Amazing that China can isolate a city of 12 million. I can’t imagine that happening anywhere else. That’s a larger city than London or New York. I’ve spent too much of my life living in the forests but if you’re going to manage a population then that’s the way to do it.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Limpe iven has a good point, we are all hypocrites really.... however good someone tries to be in aspects of their life other areas normally let them down...
Just a quick look at carbon footprint.com and a play with some figures is sobering....
They suggest to make a big difference to climate change we need to be each aiming for 2 tonnes of CO2 per annum...
I drive a lot through work (in conservation managing nature reserves)... 5.6 tonnes!
Next year (or the year after) I plan on heading to NZ for a holiday... 5.58 tonnes

Paul... Kuala Lumpur to Stockholm for the world casting... 2.6 tonnes

It’s hard to meet the 2 tonnes, unless you stay local and live very carefully.... we’re all part of the problem :closedeyes:
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I think to really redress the problem we would need a) to radically change the way humans live on the planet and b) significantly reduce our population size. In 30 years from now we are looking at 10 billion people. So that unattainable carbon footprint that we struggle with now will become smaller and more difficult to reach year by year. We’re not exactly living in Utopia now and I don’t think we will for some time to come!

Probably the most likely outcome IMO is a warmer planet, higher sea levels, food shortages, more severe droughts and flooding. I don’t believe it’s a problem we will solve and instead is one we will have to deal with.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Paul Arden wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:37 am Probably the most likely outcome IMO is a warmer planet, higher sea levels, food shortages, more severe droughts and flooding. I don’t believe it’s a problem we will solve and instead is one we will have to deal with.
At which point, I don't think we'll have the option of dealing with it. I think we'll see the population plummet in a very unpleasant way. We'll blame drought, food shortages, infrastructure breakdown and widespread civil unrest (wars) etc., but we'll come back to some population level that becomes more sustainable and we won't have much choice about how it happens.
FFi CCI

Return to “Daily Planet”