PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

4 and 6 year olds...

bass
Answers: 0

4 and 6 year olds...

Post by bass »

Hiya,

Lovely day in North Yorkshire (UK), today. cool but clear.

Was having a cast on the lawn when both kids (4 & 6) decided that was MUCH more fun than swings and slides.

Anyway, both had a go, quyite well, and both enjoyed, but a TCR 9' 5wt + iLine, was definitely the wrong setup!

Was thinking about getting a 7' 3wt, and a putting 5wt line on it for introducing my kids to the art.

Anybody had any experience with such young children, who could offer any advice?

Both are strong and tallish for their age.

Thanks,

B
Marc Fauvet

4 and 6 year olds...

Post by Marc Fauvet »

hi Bass,
i'd get them a MPR (Echo Micro Practice Rod). it's a lot more fun than a 'real' set up. (and not just for the kids ;) )

cheers,
marc
Blackwater

4 and 6 year olds...

Post by Blackwater »

What Marc said.

If they are enjoying it and you want to get them out for a cast at some fish a few companies make children's fly rods. I purchased an Echo Gecko for teaching my nephews. Rated at about a 5 wt, it has a small foam grip that is easy for kids to hold. It is light weight so they don't tire out too quickly and it comes in nice bright colours. When my nephew got his first carp on the Gecko rod it was high-sticked further than any rod should ever be and it held up. Very happy with it.

I know Ross makes a children's rod as well and there were a few other brands when i was looking around.
Marc Fauvet

4 and 6 year olds...

Post by Marc Fauvet »

Bass, here's the Gecko in action :) :cool: :) http://thelimpcobra.com/2012/02/10/brai ... ng-joshua/

i have an ongoing series of posts about fly fishing kids: brainwashem' young who's goal is to hopefully inspire other kids to take on fly fishing and tying. please show it to your own, it's one thing to have us old gits try to influence them towards the 'Bright Side' but it's often more productive when kids see other kids do it. i guess i see it as 'peer influence'. :) http://thelimpcobra.com/category/brainwashem-young/

cheers,
marc
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

4 and 6 year olds...

Post by Paul Arden »

Was thinking about getting a 7' 3wt, and a putting 5wt line on it for introducing my kids to the art.
Sounds perfect. I haven't taught children this young, but there are certainly successes - Charles Jardine and Peter Hayes have both taught their children. Donald Downs' Flycasting is Kids Stuff is/was a good video. No idea if it's still available.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

4 and 6 year olds...

Post by Paul Arden »

Incidentally like adults they have to understand the loop...
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
squish

4 and 6 year olds...

Post by squish »

I started my Daughter with a 7' 3wt when she was 8 (which was a bit older than 4 & 6). She very quickly came to prefer my 8' 4wt, because she didn't have to work too hard with it compared with the 3wt. Now at age 11 she is fishing with her own 8' 4wt S4 and loving it.

Short sessions were key, as well as games & competitions of casting to targets.

Cheers
Darren
jakefly

4 and 6 year olds...

Post by jakefly »

I've built a 6"6 2wt 4pc Batson rod. Has been great fun together with one son. Put on a 3wt Guideline presentation. Great rod for a small price.
Teaching is easy, because children are great at mimicking. So you might see your own faults :-)
I've shown several kids how to cast. Always between 5 and 8 years old.

Return to “Beginners”