PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Streamers for beginners

Neil Owens
Answers: 0

Streamers for beginners

Post by Neil Owens »

This year I get to try streamers in rivers for the first time. I've watched the nice, multi video guide produced by Orvis but wondered if anyone (Daniela - your front page inspired me to try them) has any tips for small/medium river tactics with streamers, including common patterns that catch fish and are castable with a #6 wt (or 4wt?) rod.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Streamers for beginners

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Neil,

I'm sure I've written some FPs on the subject. I'll dig them out shortly. Best advice I can think of is to read the water and make every cast as it was a shot. Which rivers are you fishing?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Neil Owens

Streamers for beginners

Post by Neil Owens »

The Wiltshire Avon this month and the Usk in Wales next.

It's just as a backup in case either nothing's rising or the water's too turbid
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Streamers for beginners

Post by Paul Arden »

Here's something I wrote a while back http://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/s ... wild-trout

I have a weighted olive woolly bugger with a tungsten head and grizzle hackle that I really like for such situations. Also some big black bunnies as well as white and olive bunnies and that's about it!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Neil Owens

Streamers for beginners

Post by Neil Owens »

Brilliant! Exactly what I'm looking for :D
I'm off to Orvis as they've just sent me a massive discount flyer :yeahhh:

Thailand (well, Bangkok) was great - it just can't handle that kind of Heat/Humidity - possibly ok when on holiday but when you're working it's just brutal.
You will find this cast described in the Sexyloops APP in the Spey Casting module. Another great reason to invest in the APP!
How's that coming along? :p
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Streamers for beginners

Post by Paul Arden »

I love the humidity!

Yeah :p I've had a couple of quotes in Hungary that were quite staggering, four times the original price. Meeting a Malaysian App programmer on the 12th. It's a chap I know quite well and I'm optimistic about this meeting. He already has some software that might actually do most of it.

So I'm on it!! :cool:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Galah

Streamers for beginners

Post by Galah »

I once read Lefty Kreh say that if he was limited to using only one fly for all his fly-fishing in every place and every fish species, then he'd choose the clouser minnow. For whatever that's worth.

Also, it's really easy to tie. :)
steelehead

Streamers for beginners

Post by steelehead »

I found weighted streamers a pest to cast on light tackle, so I tied some unweighted ones and fish them on a sinking polyleader. The casting and wind resistance are ok and the polyleader gets them down were some of the fish are. I do have some weighted wooly buggers as a general pattern, but usually stick to muddler minnows and spruce flies.
t.z.

Streamers for beginners

Post by t.z. »

everything works as streamer when pulled quick enough or in the right way. I remember fishing a big Royal Wulff as a dry when the thing started to sink. I couldn´t be bothered changing the fly so I just started pulling it like a streamer .. got several fish on it from the boat. That was on a lake close to Queenstown ;-)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Streamers for beginners

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi TZ,

Up in the hills? I've done the same thing when they were eating red damsels on the wing.

Ended up tying extended bodies with white braided backing and colouring them in. Would Iove to invent a way of fishing these above the water!! :D

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Beginners”