PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

13 year old wiz kid

George Forster
Answers: 0

13 year old wiz kid

Post by George Forster »

13 year old wiz kid has had 2 one hour sessions with breaks. Has asked some of the more intelligent questions I have ever been asked and at first instant anyone would have thought this junior would have been casting good loop early however,
First session - some side casting with the rod tip over the A track white line - circles eights and straights, not bad at all,
Side casting with 15 / 18 ft of line out at 45 deg - all good - near vertical casting - nearly good but early wrist rotation.

Roll casting using the \\\\\\/ method with some results.

Fingers - wrist - elbow - shoulder pantomyme is a drill I used in swim coaching and it works well for setting muscle memory for fly casting by not for my guy has as he has been spin fishing since before he was born and changing early rotation set to late rotation on the second lesson didnt happen. I suspect the practise drills I supplied probably didnt get done more than once as this kid wants to catch a fish on fly now.

Any imput appreciated

Father has booked junior in for another two lessons. Junior indicates he wants to become a fly fisherman

I do use Fun - dementals when I instruct kids
Bernd Ziesche

13 year old wiz kid

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hi Cast1
Get that boy catching his first fish. That's YOUR moment to share, too. :)

How about teaching him the double haul (using a short head might be a very good choice)?

Greets
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Eric

13 year old wiz kid

Post by Eric »

I agree. Get him on the water so the situational questions come up like high banks, bushes, angle changes, things that he can visualize so that practice will make sense.
Snake Pliskin

13 year old wiz kid

Post by Snake Pliskin »

I double agree.
George Forster

13 year old wiz kid

Post by George Forster »

I knew our "wiz" needed to get into a fish on fly ASAP as he lives for fishing but some times that isnt always instantly possible but I am happy to report that we were able to find some cooler water near where we live and he has now released his first trout on fly. Pics evidence were taken. This is one very happy beginner flyman.
George
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

13 year old wiz kid

Post by Paul Arden »

Fantastic, what a great start! I never had any lessons but I was lucky in many ways to fish a busy reservoir where I could learn from others. You should go fishing for bugs and teach him to tie flies :)

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Beginners”