PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Newcomer to sexy loops

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Newcomer to sexy loops

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi John

My rodtip moves in ovals just about all the time, and I rarely have problems with a twisted line, start hauling in circles with a sharp turn of the wrist at the conclusion of the haul, and I have big problems with twists. It's something worth trying at home on the living room floor. Take your reel, pull of a good amount of line, take reel in rodhand, and line end ind the other hand. Start hauling in circles, and watch as every haul puts a nice twist into the loose line on the floor.

Also, moving the rodtip in circles and getting twists in the line behind the linehand is something that seems a bit off :) I can see them happening with moving the rodbutt in ovals, but I find it damn hard to do it repeatdly since I have to make a hard twisting stop at the end of each stroke for it to really happen, and that is something I don't want to have in a smooth cast :)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
John Finn

Newcomer to sexy loops

Post by John Finn »

Hi Lasse, I have just been out in the garden and discovered that my back cast goes to the right of the rod tip while my forward cast goes generally directly over the tip. Of course this may not be exactly what I do while fishing.
Just thinking what I do on the lake for example. A lot of gentle false casting while watching rising fish and trying to decide where they are going. You need to have line in the air to get a fast shot off. Not much time............moving boat and moving fish. The problem may be there.
I dont think hauling is my particular problem cos I rarely do . Do you think DT lines could be more prone to this as this is what I mostly use up to now. though this is about to change....................John
Marc Fauvet

Newcomer to sexy loops

Post by Marc Fauvet »

hey Lasse,
what do you mean 'hauling in circles' ? could you be more specific ?
Also, moving the rodtip in circles and getting twists in the line behind the linehand is something that seems a bit off
me thinks the twists get there (between the first rod guide and the pile of line on the ground) when/if we let go of the line.
cheers,
marc
Lasse Karlsson

Newcomer to sexy loops

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Marc

More specific : Move your hauling hand in a halfcircle with a sharp inwards twist at the end, then continue that circular motion on the upfeed (moving your hauling hand back to the starting point) then do the same on the next haul and so forth.

So we have a line outside the rodtip that is full of twists from going oval with the tip,, we shoot those twists further out and onto the water. We then retrieve the line, pulling it over our index finger (some use other fingers) having good tension in the line. Normally that would get the twists to disappear not jump back behind our hands wouldn't it?

Cheers
Lasse

Marc Fauvet

Newcomer to sexy loops

Post by Marc Fauvet »

ok, thanks for the explanation :)
i don't do this half-curve haul ! :pirate: :D
So we have a line outside the rodtip that is full of twists from going oval with the tip,, we shoot those twists further out and onto the water. We then retrieve the line, pulling it over our index finger (some use other fingers) having good tension in the line. Normally that would get the twists to disappear not jump back behind our hands wouldn't it?
i get your point but the twists are on the floor, the line that wasn't shot out on the last cast so, it's not the line that has just been retrieved that's twisted, no ?

i think we're both right but there's probably more to it :cool:
cheers,
marc
Lasse Karlsson

Newcomer to sexy loops

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Marc

Yes the twists are on the floor, and even when we shoot to the reel, there will still be some twist left in the part of the line closest to the reel. Do 10 casts and it starts to add up. Few people shoot to the reel all the time. Another add in...

Do I really need slomo for this? :D

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Newcomer to sexy loops

Post by Paul Arden »

I've never considered that before, Lasse. Great post! Have you considered that you can put the twist in with the haul, that half the twist is shot outside the tip and that the other half remains behind the hauling hand? Twists outside the tip I think generally cast out.

But I do think that the majority of line twist comes from Oval Casting. If I Single Spey Cast and then Snake Roll to reposition for a while I have lots of twists! That's twist from the outside coming in. Probably we should a new thread, but Mike that's probably not going to happen! But I can tell you we will investigate this thoroughly over the next five years and it wasn't even your question!

Check this out John: http://www.sexyloops.com/advice/untwisting.shtml

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Newcomer to sexy loops

Post by Paul Arden »

Nice video there from Zack by the way - hadn't seen that! :cool:
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Newcomer to sexy loops

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Paul

I don't even think that your twists from SS and SR back are cause by the oval rodtip :)

I used to have a video up on YT with this, shot ages ago, can see I really need to do another one, hope for sun the next couple of days :D

Another one, if oval casting really casues so much twisting, why do most of continental Europe continue to cast in ovals? and do their lines really twist more :oh:

Cheers
Lasse

Ps. the worst line kinker is kicking the line while it's on the ground/boatdeck/grass, some do that to others while having shootouts :p

James9118

Newcomer to sexy loops

Post by James9118 »

When I practise distance I have to take the reel off every 30mins or so to take the twists out. I guess starting my haul from near my rod hand, on the right, and finishing it somewhere behind my left arse cheek puts a semi-circular path in.

Return to “Beginners”