PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Newcomer to sexy loops

John Finn
Answers: 0

Newcomer to sexy loops

Post by John Finn »

I know I'm out of my depth here but I think my twists are formed between the rod tip and the end of the line.This might sound mad but could it be something to do with the way the loop unrolls on the backcast. As the line is straightening out ,or not quite in my case,there is a tail of line off at an angle. The forward stroke begins and the tail is whipped around.
I feel an experiment coming on..........maybe a line drawn on a line :???:
I know the twists can be dispersed by long casting to the reel but if you are doing mostly short cast fishing they do not come out so easily........................John
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Newcomer to sexy loops

Post by Paul Arden »

I'm not completely sure now, Lasse, but if you go round and round and round in circles with the rod tip does this not also put twists in the line? I'm sure it does. But it's 5 o'clock in the morning and instead of casting I'm going to go to bed, where I will be dreaming of Austrian mountain women undoing line twists. It's a bit of a nightmare.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Doug Swift

Newcomer to sexy loops

Post by Doug Swift »

Hi John
Sounds like you do a lot of your casting from a boat and this is probably a long shot in regards to your problem, but I recall reading an article once by Lefty Kreh where in he commented that serious line twist can be caused by inadvertently rolling the stripped off fly line under your foot when it is laying on a flat surface like a boat deck or bottom. Just kind of a random thought
Doug
John Finn

Newcomer to sexy loops

Post by John Finn »

Hi Doug, wish it was so simple . Also get it on the river. Its not a huge problem as it generally takes a good few days to build up significant twists which need to be cleared..............John
Graeme H

Newcomer to sexy loops

Post by Graeme H »

John Finn wrote:I know the twists can be dispersed by long casting to the reel but if you are doing mostly short cast fishing they do not come out so easily........................John
I get twists in my line if I don't regularly get the line tight to the reel. Whether I do that by casting the full amount of stripped line out or by just feeding the line out after a lesser cast doesn't seem to matter, as long as I get the stripped line outside the rod now and then.

My main solution is to make sure I don't have too much line stripped off the reel while I'm fishing or practicing my casts. If I'm not hitting the full distance of my stripped line every 10 or 15 casts, I've probably got too much stripped out. To fix it, I feed what I have already stripped off the reel outside the rod until the line is straight between reel and stripping guide, then wind some line onto the reel. (Winding the line on to the reel without first feeding it out of the rod will wind the twists onto the reel and they'll still be there next time you pull the line out.)

You don't need to "cast long", but you do need to cast to the full stripped amount regularly.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Marc Fauvet

Newcomer to sexy loops

Post by Marc Fauvet »

Lasse Karlsson wrote:
Yes the twists are on the floor, and even when we shoot to the reel, there will still be some twist left in the part of the line closest to the reel. Do 10 casts and it starts to add up. Few people shoot to the reel all the time. Another add in...

Do I really need slomo for this? :D
well, we like slomos here, no ? :D
i'm not so sure that twists stay there when shooting to the reel (that's why i'm looking forward to your slomo ! (and no clever cheating to prove you're right !!! :cool: ).
the way i see it is, just like when unrolling the full line behind a boat or downstream or through tightened fingers or a rag, it's tension that takes out the line twist and slack that lets them add up at out feet so if the line is cast tight to the reel these twisties should go away. please prove me wrong ! :pirate:
cheers,
marc
Lasse Karlsson

Newcomer to sexy loops

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Marc

It's going to be a huge film, I can see that :D

And I don't cheat, rather be proven wrong and learn something :)

I do come from fixed spool spinning background, and talk about twisted lines here :p

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Marc Fauvet

Newcomer to sexy loops

Post by Marc Fauvet »

i did write 'clever'. that's a compliment :D :D :D
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Newcomer to sexy loops

Post by Paul Arden »

Let's go back a step here. If you cast the loop to one side of the rod tip, and then on the next casting stroke throw to the other side, you put one whole twist in the line. And that twist will be between the rod tip and the reel. Nothing to do with Tension or Slack. Casting to the reel helps put some of those twist back outside the tip ring - you need to do it a few times to shoot the twists outside. If you don't shoot to the reel they can gather up at the hauling hand.

The question is can you also put twists in as a result of the hauling hand/rod hand? Well yes you obviously can; if I hold the line in my fingers I can twist it around and around, and so if I'm doing this while shooting line I can imagine putting twists between the hauling hand and reel, and shooting the opposite side of the twists outside the rod. So technically this could happen. I don't think this is a main cause, but I've never considered it before and obviously need to do this tomorrow while Snakehead fishing! :pirate:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Newcomer to sexy loops

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Why will that twist be between the rodtip and the reel :???:

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)

Return to “Beginners”