PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Back pain and fly fishing.

Moderator: Paul Arden

al greig
Answers: 0

Post by al greig »

Cheers gents - some good suggestions there!

A back brace might be a good investment too, but at least exercise and better technique is free :)

Al.
Geenomad

Post by Geenomad »

Al, was thinking about this in the back of my head as I am wont to do.

As it happens I always reel with the right hand although I am left handed and I cast two handed like a right hander - surf rods, spinning gear, that sort of thing. So I am guessing my two hand set up looks a lot like yours.

The only time I can remember getting pain in my back was after long sessions where the rod is kept at least partly elevated - ie by using my left side muscles and it was more shoulder muscles (complex joint and muscle structure) some of which join up to the skeleton in the area you mention (thoracic). These are action muscles, rather than stabilisers and they don't enjoy static load for extended periods. Longer rod, heavier rod = more load. Maybe?

Cheers
Mark
"The line of beauty is the result of perfect economy." R. W. Emerson.
https://thecuriousflycaster.com
ACW

Post by ACW »

al greig wrote:Cheers gents - some good suggestions there!

A back brace might be a good investment too, but at least exercise and better technique is free :)

Al.
The simms back magic is very good , I occaisionally use it when i am expecting to be shifting heavy stuff in the catering biz I am trying to get to part time status!
Adult beverages are helpful when you get back to home or the fishing base
al greig

Post by al greig »

Mark, Graeme, Paul, and of course Andy :)

Great information and thoughts - thank you!

Another thing that occurs to me is that I probably hunch over a bit, most of the time. I think its that "hunting posture" - an attempt to lower the profile, and also something that happens almost subconsciously when we are focussed intently on a task.I do it all the time when upstream dry fly fishing...

So if I combine repeated load on the body, where the left side is trying to compensate for the load on the right, with bad posture (more load), wading in strong currents with difficult and uneven footing (more load), and also not getting my whole body in line for the delivery stroke, then I think back pain sooner or later is almost inevitable.

Lots to think about - and maybe a better understanding of why it is happening and how to avoid it :)

Cheers!

Al.
Jonas Magnusson

Post by Jonas Magnusson »

I am a quack and back pain - I mean my god- who can sort all that out? I will offer a solace of sort. When we (the old farts) wake up and there is no pain - we are dead.

Cheers
Jonas
------------------
www.everyjonahhasawhale.com
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

You're only 52 Al!!!
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

I’ve been stretching my back regularly for the last few weeks.
Lie on back legs together and feet up close to backside, rotate knees slowly down to the floor to the right and then left trying to keep shoulders on the floor and square.
I’ll do the above say 20 times, then straighten out legs and stretch arms over head until they lie back over head along the floor... whilst try8ng to stretch out back and arch back. I’ll do this perhaps 10times the do the first exercise again. It’s definitely helped me with stiff shoulders and lower back pain
George Forster

Post by George Forster »

Try Turmeric, Black Pepper & Ginger preferrably mixed by a natrapath for the pain and inflamation. There is a few of these available such as a product called TurmerX that has the correct mix quantities. Couple this with light strength exercises and stretching. Dont just do any stretches. Get the correct ones. Good Luck with it.
al greig

Post by al greig »

Paul Arden wrote:You're only 52 Al!!!
Amazing that I'm fifteen years older than you!
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Haha :p
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flyfishing”