PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Should foreigners pay more to fish in Europe?

Moderator: Paul Arden

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

What does the Board think about a double tiered rod license and permit costs for foreigners?

The arguments are,

1) they can afford it
2) they weren't born here
3) no one likes foreigners because they're different
5) we could use the extra money for cleaner rivers and more beer.

I'm only thinking about those countries which do the same to us. Everywhere else where we are welcomed as equals guests should be treated the same and made to feel most welcome :cool:

Of maybe we should just not let them fish here :p

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
petevicar
Answers: 0

Post by petevicar »

It should be mandatory to fish with a guide for Canadians and Icelanders.
IANACI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I think that's only Quebec, Pete. BC residents should have course be made to pay an additional daily fee and not be allowed to fish our better rivers on weekends!

Flycasting Definitions
Rick B.

Post by Rick B. »

Paul Arden wrote:What does the Board think about a double tiered rod license and permit costs for foreigners?

The arguments are,

1) they can afford it
2) they weren't born here
3) no one likes foreigners because they're different
5) we could use the extra money for cleaner rivers and more beer.

I'm only thinking about those countries which do the same to us. Everywhere else where we are welcomed as equals guests should be treated the same and made to feel most welcome :cool:

Of maybe we should just not let them fish here :p

Cheers, Paul
I like this answer. Its an "Off Take" of the "Golden Rule"...
THE WORST DAY FISHING, STILL BEATS THE BEST DAY WORKING, I EVER HAD, (BEFORE I RETIRED)!!!
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I don't like the spirit of it, and to me it has negative undertones of you're not really welcome here. They've actually just brought out a foreigners license in NZ. I haven't fished NZ for quite a few years - the exchange rate is a bit of a killer now - but I did spend a lot of time out there. Almost 20 seasons.

Something I started to notice maybe 7 years ago was the growing discontent with foreigners fishing "their water". There were articles in magazines about whether they should be charged more or made to fish with a guide. I think essentially they were driven by jealousy. You have the situation on the flip side where a local gets one day off to fish and he finds that some foreigners are already fishing his river or have camped there etc etc. And so this license introduction to me is just an extension of that. I guess they've had enough of us!!

The next logical step is to do as they do in parts of BC and restrict those fishing on the foreigner's license from fishing the most popular rivers on weekends and bank holidays. I think we're probably quite a few years from that but once you open the gate it's interesting to see what comes through it.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
al greig

Post by al greig »

Hi Paul,

I see they have set the NZ visitors' permit at just a bit higher than the residents' ticket. Its still an incredibly good deal for a visiting angler, though, wouldn't you agree? I didn't experience any ill will on any of my trips, but I wasn't really fishing in places where that might be an issue. I was asked about about it though, a couple of times. The locals I spoke to were broadly in favour, and that was as far back as 2004. Same year I met you there, in fact. I said I'd happily pay more.

I suppose if it goes a little way to off-set a bit of resentment, then fair enough. We don't do it in the UK, obviously, but the fishing experience is different here.

I agree with you that it'll be interesting to see how things develop. For Wealthy travelling anglers doubling or trebling the fee, or more, probably wouldn't make any difference. But with exchange rates the way they are now, and increasing air fares, going there now for the average bloke is becoming a bit of a stretch. Still don't think the Permit is a deal breaker at present levels though.

Al.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I suppose if it goes a little way to off-set a bit of resentment
This is my problem with it. Far from off-setting resentment I think it builds upon it.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

They should just hang a big sign up saying "we don't welcome foreigners any more".

Flycasting Definitions
Rick B.

Post by Rick B. »

Paul Arden wrote:They should just hang a big sign up saying "we don't welcome foreigners any more".
Maybe the sign should say "Keep your dirty money at home!". I'm sure the hotels, restaurants, guides, B&B's, & outfitters, really don't want to make a "Living", anyway...
THE WORST DAY FISHING, STILL BEATS THE BEST DAY WORKING, I EVER HAD, (BEFORE I RETIRED)!!!
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I reckon I've spend 80-100,000 pounds directly into the NZ economy over the two decades. For 18 years I would earn money in Europe and spend it in NZ. That's a lot of money and I don't have anything to show for it, just a few photos and of course a fantastic time. But it's not about the money for me; it's the message. And you can say it's not a real message and I'm reading too much into it, but I was spending time there when it evolved, so I know what drove it. And if that's how people feel about visitors then fine, I'm not bloody going there! I'm not paying to be a second class citizen. Basically we've outstayed our welcome, that's how I see it.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flyfishing”