PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Should foreigners pay more to fish in Europe?

Moderator: Paul Arden

Glenda
Answers: 0

Post by Glenda »

I'm going to respond to this and if I have got the wrong message, my apologies. Australians have to buy licences to fish our own waters ie Victoria, Tasmania, NSW and South Australia. Shouldn't we feel the same as a foreigner. In fact, I think it is worse that we have to. Yet in QLD you don't need one. There should be uniformity and the rules should apply to everyone - foreigners or otherwise.
"my biggest worry is that when I am dead and gone my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it". ......Koos Brandt
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Many countries/states have rod licenses. We have them in the UK for example in fresh water. It's really a tax. It is the same tax for everyone - foreigners and locals. Many US States have a two-tier system - one price for those residing in the state, a different price for those outside. NZ now has two prices - one for those who reside in NZ and another for foreigners (it's the only country I know that does this). I think it should be the same for everyone. Once upon a time NZ was egalitarian too.

Anyway. Just my views - I've had a lifetime of fishing there so it doesn't really affect me apart from the perceived "fuck you" element.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
wildfisher

Post by wildfisher »

I'm with Paul on this. I really don't believe discriminating against foreigners is good for the image of New Zealand. Even although the sums involved, thus far, are not huge it could be the thin end of the wedge. The first and arguably most difficult and controversial step has already been taken. It'll be easier from now on.

I'll be making my 5th and in all likelihood my last trip to NZ after the new year, it's getting to be too expensive. My mate I go with has made a dozen trips and he says the same. We were both inspired by accounts of Paul's trips; Alex went first, I followed. I didn't know about the new discrimination against foreigners until after we'd booked the flights, booked the vehicle etc. Would it have made a difference? I honestly can't say. The foreign license fee is not a game changer right now but it's yet another cost and they all add up. Worse than that it has a whiff of “you're no longer welcome here” about it. Perhaps it's time to look elsewhere.

To be honest I'd be mortified to have to explain or justify discrimination against foreign visitors to Scotland and although, as Barrio rightly points out, there are sometimes (as in the case of Aberdeenshire Council) different pricing structures here, they apply to all nationalities including UK residents. They do not discriminate against foreigners. And just for the record I don't agree with those systems either.

Of course no one is forced to go, and those who have been pushing for this might say if you don't like it stay away. Well, that's fair enough I suppose.
Don't Bogart that DEET, my friend, pass it over to me

http://flylines.org
Glenda

Post by Glenda »

I'm wondering if an Australian would be considered a foreigner? If so, we Aussies won't be going over to fish as often either. The lodges and guides are already expensive enough.
"my biggest worry is that when I am dead and gone my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it". ......Koos Brandt

Return to “Flyfishing”