PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Should foreigners pay more to fish in Europe?

Moderator: Paul Arden

steelehead
Answers: 0

Post by steelehead »

Hi all,
As I'm a foreigner on most fishing waters myself I can understand regulations in favour of local fishers. However paying more feels awkward, especially if the water is not special at all.
Some rivers I love to fish in Germany only give out day tickets if you stay in the region for at least one night, which I think is fair, considering the fact that these rural areas are not too expensive and in our times many just rush in fish and rush of, without looking left or right (only if there aint a fish rising of course).
I do not agree in cashing in on foreigners, but I think the fly fishing conspiracy is practising that for decades....
Maybe that's the reason why coarse fishing is gaining popularity amongst fly fishers - it's affordable, close and fun.

Cheers,
Chris
alex vulev

Post by alex vulev »

Bernd is right - its down to money in the end. Its also based on the rarity of the fish - in europe the posh will be doing salmon, middle classes - trout and as the saying goes - the chub is the poor folks trout :D i cant imagine a fair shot in this world. Maybe on another planet :ninja: thats why the visitors may be asked to pay more so the locals wouldnt be entirely excluded with high prices. :???:
Wise indeed was George Selwyn Marryat when he said: "its not the fly; its the driver"

page 193,
GEM Skues,The Way Of A Trout With A Fly
t.z.

Post by t.z. »

They do not want more foreign anglers. They sure want more "regular" tourists. On can have more people hiking and cycling in an area than anglers. Look at the Oreti cycle track project.

I think they should follow their rules and remove all introduced wildlife, including willow trees, sheep, deer, possums, rabbits and of course the trout. Isn't that is why 1080 is dropped everywhere, including the rivers. :666:
petevicar

Post by petevicar »

Have you been drinking again Thomas?
IANACI
t.z.

Post by t.z. »

petevicar wrote:Have you been drinking again Thomas?
No alcohol needed ..... I have seen the light ;-)

But seriously ...

a) this fee is nothing compared to what one pays in other countries and

b) it is with all things fees ... fees are like dog testicals. You know why dogs lick themselves?

- simple - because they can. So does fish and game. The charge where they can and tourist pay more. That is just the way it is. However, I´d pay more if farmers weren´t allow to lock their gates and so blocking water access ... and funny enough - guides have a business simply because they have keys. I think that is a bigger problem than this angling fee and sends a worse signal to me than a nominal angling fee.

However - funny is that the so often bashed upon Germans do have a foreigner friendly policy. Non Germans get the fishing license without having to sit 36 hours in fishing school and having to pass the test. :cool: :yeahhh:
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

One of the reasons cited is to reduce fishing pressure.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
t.z.

Post by t.z. »

Paul Arden wrote:One of the reasons cited is to reduce fishing pressure.
seems to do the trick ;-)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

It works very well in BC too. I guess it's a question of income - so long as the increase in revenue per license offsets the loss of license sales then it works for them. But it is kind of strange to then get requests for International help in fighting dairying / dams / cycle tracks and so on!

Flycasting Definitions
t.z.

Post by t.z. »

Paul Arden wrote:It works very well in BC too. I guess it's a question of income - so long as the increase in revenue per license offsets the loss of license sales then it works for them. But it is kind of strange to then get requests for International help in fighting dairying / dams / cycle tracks and so on!
Indeed, but more strange is the ... "no this is privat land you can not cross it" thing. To me this is total BS. Opening and closing gates is simple - locking them so to charge is not really welcoming. Locking tham and than only allowing guides to have the keys is fucked up.

Anyway, a very nice country and super friendly people otherwise ..... and the fishing is pretty good. There´s always som local obastacles in any country. What makes som things in NZ difficult to understand is the general generosity of the people versus the greed of a few ... and unluckily this few are in between the fishermen and the water.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I guess the honeymoon is over! Right must go fishing :cool:

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flyfishing”