PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Tying your own leaders - one problem

Moderator: Paul Arden

Boisker

Post by Boisker » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:35 am

Funny... my maths inst that quick so just checked- my most common rod for fishing in SW England is 9'... so your X1.35 comes out at 12.15'... more by chance than any systematic comparisons my standard leader length is 12'.
But on open chalkstreams I usually go up a bit and on some tight streams down a little bit.

I'm also fall into the category of a bit kack handed on rivers... as I've got older I seem to find myself needing glasses with fiddly knots, so I tend to use the figure of 8 knot for joining mono, it's really easy and you can do it with haemostats.

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:52 pm

Great thanks, Eugene. Would certainly work for my butt section. :)

Thanks, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

crunch

Post by crunch » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:08 pm

I have boiled only stiffer butt sections so breaking should not be a problem. Nylon becomes softer when it absorbs water and boiled leaders should be kept moist to keep them pliable but they harden eventually. Vinegar makes Nylon stretchy as well so if someone needs to have a "shock absorber" for fish fighting close should test it. But then for setting the hook line stetch is negative feature.

For my Pike fishing from a float tube where my leader is only about two feet and very thick the vinegar boiling definitely is good for casting and how the fly swims more natural. But also in the end of fight when there is very short length of line between sometimes big Pike and upright held rod tip so some line stretch is good not to break the rod.

Esa

t.z.

Post by t.z. » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:44 pm

Boisker wrote:Funny... my maths inst that quick so just checked- my most common rod for fishing in SW England is 9'... so your X1.35 comes out at 12.15'... more by chance than any systematic comparisons my standard leader length is 12'.
But on open chalkstreams I usually go up a bit and on some tight streams down a little bit.

I'm also fall into the category of a bit kack handed on rivers... as I've got older I seem to find myself needing glasses with fiddly knots, so I tend to use the figure of 8 knot for joining mono, it's really easy and you can do it with haemostats.
When using a leader ring to connect tippet and leader I rarely had to rebuild the leader streamside. If for som odd reason (or agressive vegitation having hopped at my backcast) I just changed the whole thing with a pre tied leader.

Now as I am fishing more open landscapes than the vegetation tunnel fishing I used to do in the small streams in germany, I have come to three part leader plus tippet of much lesser complexity - 170cm 0.45, than 60cm 0.35 and 0.25 and than about 80cm tippet.
“All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.” - Douglas Adams

davestocker

Post by davestocker » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:52 pm

There's an article in the July edition of the UK's Trout & Salmon magazine, where a guy called Louis Noble (APGAI) gives the formula for a home tied mono leader, with a weight forward profile. Anyone played with a similar formulation? Does it work?

Return to “Flyfishing”