PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Jungle Tarpon

Moderator: Paul Arden

WJC
Answers: 0

Jungle Tarpon

Post by WJC »

Thank you Paul. I never know how posts will be received.

Bernd, my apologies, for suggesting you do exactly what you already did! I think my brain is aging even faster than my body. It keeps misplacing information where I can't find it when I need it.

I've lost tarpon in so many different ways it no longer surprises me that much when I find another way to do it. So I keep picking away at it trying to eliminate the last way I lost one.

For instance, about ten years ago, the entire Keys ran out of Seaguar in 60 and 80 # test, so I bought a different brand, as did a buddy of mine. He bought his by the pound, I bought mine in retail spools of 35 yds.. We lost five fish in 2 days because it broke on a bias about 3/4" long nowhere near the knot or crlimp. This happened from 3 different spools of the same brand, so we went back to Ande mono until the stores got resupplied with Seaguar.

I wound up cutting the defective leader with a razor, and sure enough it split on a bias. So I slit the end of some Ande to see what happened, and it ripped straight. Ever since, I split the end of every new roll of leader and rip it up a ways to make sure it's OK before re-rigging. That's what led to the way I connect leader to fly line, that and having butted ends poking through the outer finger-trap.

There aren't many advantages to getting old and weak, but having shit happen to you is one of them so long as you can remember what they were.

Cheers,
jim
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Jungle Tarpon

Post by Paul Arden »

:D

I'll look forward to that. :cool:
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
WJC
Answers: 0

Jungle Tarpon

Post by WJC »

Paul, off the subject, but I sent you a couple of PM's. Just checking to make sure you got them.

Cheers,
Jim
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Jungle Tarpon

Post by Paul Arden »

Nope normally they are forwarded to my email. However I can see them now. Thanks!!
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flyfishing”