PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Tailing fish( Carp)

Moderator: Paul Arden

Andrew Lawson
Answers: 0

Tailing fish( Carp)

Post by Andrew Lawson »

This is the money maker for my carp. Small dumbbell eyes for the deep fish (3 ft) and i use chain eyes for the ones in less water (the ones I usually target). Tied on a hook normally used for bonefish...
Attachments
Carp Fly
Carp Fly
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Tailing fish( Carp)

Post by Paul Arden »

Very nice indeed! :pirate:
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Michal Duzynski

Tailing fish( Carp)

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Here are mine
Attachments
20181125_161303-600x770.jpg
Michal Duzynski

Tailing fish( Carp)

Is this cheating???ha ha

There you go. I am addicted to carp fly fishing in Australia. Carp here is named the hardest pulling fresh water fish.

Now, first I think I underestimate that fish. I have never had my fly rod in full bend and reaching the backing from a screaming reel. Aussie Carp can do that.
  In certen places here, yes you wait for the fish to eat your fly, but in the creeks in the middle of the city even if they are feeding they wont take a fly(as sexy as they look)
  ... this fish is not very spooky( where I fish)
I see them crusing, or standing close to the surface. I cast my fly over them, or in front of them and let them line up with in striking zone. Then strip strike or striking by lifting the rod.
  Hookups are whenever, side, tail, cheen...
I feel like Im not doing what I supose too, but on the end of the day who cares. The positive sides are
- casting is chalanging,  fast shots to a crusing fish. Walking with the fly inhand along the bank and then boom
- once hooked, the fun is amazing
- i help aussie enviroment by removing carp from local waters( aussie law)

One ate my fly in a cloud of mud, but could not land it( steep bank), landing net is already prepared for Tuesday.

Cheers
Mike
Michal Duzynski

Tailing fish( Carp)

Marabou flies looks like this when wet. With a bit of water movement they wiggle like a worm. It is most about worm looking like.

Andrew do you think they are selective?
Once sucking the mud, do they see what they sucking in? Or they will suck whatever crosses their mouth?

In the clear lake- last monday. I see them crusing. Cast the marabou ( most of the flies are slow sinking) fly. He turns, inspects, suck it- i striked too early- spooked- gone.
Comes back after 10min, cast same fly, he aproaches, looks at it and turs around.
On the 5th cast I think he get pissed of with 4 inspections and refusals and sucked the fly with anger. My leader- tipet conection was shit, so now he swims with my fly and 6feet of tipet.

But in this mudy, tailing situation, have you found the selective?
Cheers
Mike
Attachments
20181120_182211-800x512.jpg
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Tailing fish( Carp)

Post by Paul Arden »

Well I never snag them. That’s no fun for me. But I guess the “all snagged fish must be returned to the water” rule doesn’t apply to Carp!

Flycasting Definitions
Michal Duzynski

Tailing fish( Carp)

Yeah, I feel a bit bad too. But after a big run and a tension on the line they eventualy pin off and swim free. I dont need to have them in my hand and kill them.that is why no pictuers yet
I had fun, let them swim...

Hey, you putting an elephant dung on your line- that is not alowed too ha ha
Mike
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Tailing fish( Carp)

Post by Paul Arden »

And friend of mine - Jim Curry - was fishing with a guy in NZ who was obviously trying to snag a trout he couldn’t hook fairly. That’s completely against the rules. When I can’t catch a fish I tip my hat to it and move on.

Occasionally I have fished one of Dave’s Dead Caddises to spook it. This gives me a certain amount of satisfaction.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Tailing fish( Carp)

Post by Paul Arden »

My best carp fly is a lightly weighted olive damsel nymph. I’ll post a picture on Tuesday when I’m back on the boat. If you use this you’ll never need to snag them again because they can’t refuse it :cool:

It’s also one of my best trout flies. Basically it’s an adaption of John Goddard’s marabou mayfly nymph. It’s a simple pattern that’s basically remain unchanged for 30 years. It’s caught thousands of trout and hundreds of carp (plus a few barbel).

In my last few years of NZ fishing I started tying them short and on smaller hooks on the harder fished flats. I think it would have some mileage in small sizes on chalkstreams too. I’ve recently tied a few up on Bonefish hooks for Giant Gourami. It worked well when I fished with Stu in Australia and caught all my carp. You drop it front of the carp and when he’s close you move the fly one inch. If he refuses then drop a size. Perfect HT4 territory!

Cheers. Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Michal Duzynski

Tailing fish( Carp)

Fuck, now I feel bad, but it was only one session. That is it. Or they eat it, or I go home.
Cheers
Mike

Return to “Flyfishing”