PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

The advantage of fly fishing for Toman/ Giant Snakehead

Moderator: Paul Arden

Zhongxiang
Answers: 0

Re: The advantage of fly fishing for Toman/ Giant Snakehead

Post by Zhongxiang »

The biggest advantage of fly fishing for them IMO is bloody fun!!! It's all about the visual shots we are casters after all. See the rise, identify the opportunity, shots in. A friend in Malaysia kept telling me to use big fast sinking flashy fly to cast around the babies until the adult is pissed off to get eat. And I tell him that I have no interests in using machine gun by volume or frequency, I much prefer to be a sniper with rifle one shot one kill that's the game!

Paul, What line are you using in recent SLTVs? It looks much smoother. Did you downsize the fly as well?

cheers TC
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Nope all the same (I think!). That’s an infinity 9 on the HT10 and a 1/0 Loudmouth. I’ve lengthened the leader up slightly! :)

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Did you like the way that I got the first fish to eat again? :) Oh yeah I got a plastic reel from Nick’s in KL. It was just cheap way of having more lines available. However I’ve found that it makes it very easy to to hold the rod further up the rod while landing fish (still keeping the tip down). A definite improvement.

You might not see that I’m delaying the strike but there is a conscious delay. I’m sure now that this is the answer to missed fish.

Yeah throwing around the babies for an hour is how they do it with spinners. That’s not a feeding response, that’s protection. What we do is much more subtle.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Zhongxiang
Answers: 0

Post by Zhongxiang »

It felt a bit clunky in the fly with two hooks, I think next time I will only use one hook with less foam and glue.

Oh yes, that re-eat was super fast mate. Landed with sound one strip and the fish hit it so accurately. I need to keep in mind that always throw it back again!

Every video I have watched multiple times. First time just watch it under normal speed as entertainment then following times watch it in slowmo to see every detail I can find, boat positioning, hand movements, fish reaction, strip, eat, etc. One of my mistakes was I didn't adjust my strip according to fish's body language maybe I was too excited to slow it down :p The second fish exactly reflects this where it followed a long way and you forced it to feed nice work mate :pirate:

Can't wait to come back. Besides fishing, It would be awesome to cast the lumi line from battleship's roof :yeahhh:

Cheers TC
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I think the most important thing is to be really deliberate with the cast. Take your time to work out exactly where to place the fly and then everything should follow. See the fish, see the target and go!

And yes I’m back to using the single hook. The small delay is the answer to setting the hook of that I’m sure now!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flyfishing”