PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Seatrout on the Coast

Moderators: Sudesh Pursad, Morsie

Simon Svahn
Answers: 0

Seatrout on the Coast

Post by Simon Svahn »

Hi guys!

Gonna try the seatrout fishing on the swedish West Coast This spring. It Will be my first time doing This type of fishing.

Anyone got some fishing tactics you want share?

Currently looking for a slow intermediate line with a longer Belly. Anyone fished the barstool sixth sense?

Regards
Simon
Lasse Karlsson

Seatrout on the Coast

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hardest part is finding the fish :D

The sixth sense is an ok line, might want to check out the TSD lines from Tellis, he fishes the west coast alot, and prefer longer bellies. His main area is around Gothenburg.

Look for structure, currents and dropoffs. Seatrout tend to move around, so cover water, avoid being stationary and don't be afraid to fish the flies fast, even if they are small.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Simon Svahn

Seatrout on the Coast

Post by Simon Svahn »

Ok will do that! Whats the deal about saltwater fishing being imaginary? :)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Seatrout on the Coast

Post by Paul Arden »

Your mind makes it real, Simon.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd Ziesche

Seatrout on the Coast

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hi Simon,
since there are only floating and different fast sinking fly lines available, I don't really know what a "slow intermediate" might be in detail. Unless I have tried that particular line that is of course.

I recommend to retrieve as fast as possible. Mostly you can't pull too fast but will be too slow often!
Fast retrieve though means the fly runs on the surface when using a floating or a very slow sinking line. Sometimes Sea trout then rise and often not. Even if they rise you are loosing a lot since the strike isn't appropriate often.
If you strip fast and combine with a significant sinking line (sinkrate 2 - 4, I prefer 4) your fly fishes deeper making for better takes and loosing much less fish. Thus deep and fast works best in my experience (as Lasse said even small flies are fine to be pulled fast).
I use weighted flies mostly 1 - 1,5 gramm. 0,25mm nylon tippet. Leader length = a bit more than rod length.
In my experience it often wasn't much about finding the fish, but knowing how to catch it. I have seen many fly fishermen being in the middle of fish not catching anything. Having said so - I do agree with Lasse about changing spots being a good strategy as it is to change how you present the fly. I always start very fast though! When slowing down I prefer to change to a smaller fly as well.
The bigger your fly, the faster it should be moved. In my experience this is the main mistake often: Big flies stripped too slow making for almost all Sea trout not willing to take it.
Some waves on the water are much better than calm surface. Thus look for some side winds or soft head winds.
Don't go for the sandy spots but look for weeds, stones = dark colored bottom.
Colored/muddy water often is great in spring. Upto some degree that is. If the mudd goes out for 200 meters - that's too much. If you can fish an edge of muddy/clear water - that's perfect often.
Here you may find my own fav Sea trout fly:
http://www.first-cast.de/Textdateien/sa ... esche.html
Good luck!
Cheers
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Thomas

Seatrout on the Coast

Post by Thomas »

Hi Simon,

I live in Gothenburg and fish a lot for seatrout along the coast in this area. I´ll give you some tips later in the week. Got to go to work... :)

Cheers Thomas G
t.z.

Seatrout on the Coast

Post by t.z. »

Thomas wrote:Hi Simon,

I live in Gothenburg and fish a lot for seatrout along the coast in this area. I´ll give you some tips later in the week. Got to go to work... :)

Cheers Thomas G
Nice ... I live in Oslo ... we should get together at some point. Will you be at the fair in Jönköping in a few weeks? I´ll be going to help Ralf on the Vosseler booth.
Simon Svahn

Seatrout on the Coast

Post by Simon Svahn »

Im already there Paul :)

Bernd, thank you. This is a little different approach from What my friends do. I Will try both slow and faster sinking lines, and se What works :)

Thomas Thanks! I Will be in south of sweden from end of april and trough may. Maybe we can met up, do some casting and fishing?
t.z.

Seatrout on the Coast

Post by t.z. »

Simon Svahn wrote:Im already there Paul :)

Bernd, thank you. This is a little different approach from What my friends do. I Will try both slow and faster sinking lines, and se What works :)

Thomas Thanks! I Will be in south of sweden from end of april and trough may. Maybe we can met up, do some casting and fishing?
Fishing yes ... I do not cast unless I see or at least imagine a fish ;-) :sorcerer:

Return to “Saltwater”