PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Recommendation for flats shoes?

Moderators: Sudesh Pursad, Morsie

Fla

Post by Fla » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:12 pm

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend shoes for flats fishing (bahamas)?

I would like to buy a quality shoe that is durable.

Does anybody know the new Simms Flat Sneakers Boulder?
https://www.blackflyoutfitters.com/wade ... -4206.html
How where the old ones?

I am also thinking about taking my Five Ten Water Tennie canyoning shoes, which I use for river wet wading: https://fiveten.co.nz/products/water-tennie-black
I am not sure if they would be suitable, and I dont want to have troubles with my shoes...

Cheers,
Flavio

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:45 pm

I’ve always used diving booties. Not sure about the quality though! But they are cheap and then you can turn them into foam back humpies when they eventually fall apart!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Fla

Post by Fla » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:02 pm

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:26 pm

Yes that’s what I’ve always used!

Flycasting Definitions

James9118

Post by James9118 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:28 pm

Hi Flavio,

Tracy and I have been using dive boots in the Bahamas for some time without a problem. Actually Tracy did have a pair of Simms flats sneakers - these fell apart pretty quickly, not before leaving some permanent scarring through rubbing mind you :evil:

The worst ground you're going to encounter is probably 'crinkle rock' (igneous rock). Just make sure the boots you get have a reasonably thick rubber sole and you'll be fine. I did over 10 weeks in and old pair of running shoes - they were better than the Simms flats sneakers :D .

P.s. We also wear neoprene socks - you can get these with 'Simms' written on them for about $30, or you can go to a dive shop on Amazon and get them 'unbranded' for $6.

James

sms

Post by sms » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:44 pm

Whatever boots you buy, buy (cheap) superglue and glue each and every seam before first use. After using this treatment on my wading boots, I haven’t had a single stitch seam problem. The boots fall apart from elsewhere. Currently I am using old Simms flats sneakers that I’ve had a long time (but only used for about 2-3 weeks on the water - currently I am using them on Guadeloupe where there isn’t much live coral to eat the boots). And yes, use neoprene socks. If you find ones that are long, but still sit snug around your shin, they will nicely keep out the (coral)sand. And you can turn them over the boot to also keep the same stuff going in the boot too.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke

sms

Post by sms » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:03 pm

I will try desert combat boots when my flats sneakers fall apart. You can find those for a LOT less than similar flats boots.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke

Graeme H

Post by Graeme H » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:01 pm

sms wrote:I will try desert combat boots when my flats sneakers fall apart. You can find those for a LOT less than similar flats boots.
Me too. My next boots will be the Water Boots that emergency services use. Cheaper than boots "made for fishing".

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI

Geenomad

Post by Geenomad » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:16 am

Graeme H wrote:
sms wrote:I will try desert combat boots when my flats sneakers fall apart. You can find those for a LOT less than similar flats boots.
Me too. My next boots will be the Water Boots that emergency services use. Cheaper than boots "made for fishing".
Will be very interested to hear how this works out. Footwear for wade fishing is a substantial subject. There are a lot of boxes to tick and a good many contradictions between criteria - eg comfort, weight and durability. Fit is another issue. I'm still looking. :(

Sick to death of clodhopper wading boots I went for NRS workboots. Great to walk long Tassie miles in but the cross country stuff and underwater terrain found them out. Will see how my repairs hold up but I am not overly optimistic.

Still have my Simms flats sneakers in good order after two trips and 3 weeks solid work on CXI including some pretty unfriendly terrain. I understand the guides weren't keen to take people with dive booties to such places. Have a feeling Simms had a quality problem with some cohorts of these which I might have avoided. Dunno.

Price would be a fair way down the list for me, not because I've got plenty to throw around but because I don't want to spoil a trip with uncomfortable and/or clapped out footwear. Can't see the economics of that scenario when replacements aren't available.

Cheers
Mark
"The line of beauty is the result of perfect economy." R. W. Emerson.
https://thecuriousflycaster.com

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:56 am

I was recently given some army boots by a friend who owns the Chinese restaurant that I mostly eat at in town. I’ve never tried such boots in the salt but I would have no reservations using these. I’m thinking of chopping 3/4 off the soles and adding felt in the same way that I did for NZ with my Mendls. Of course these were free so that’s always a good deal :D

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Saltwater”