PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Sudesh FP - Salt Flies

Moderators: Sudesh Pursad, Morsie

mattklara
Answers: 0

Sudesh FP - Salt Flies

Post by mattklara »

Nice FP, Sudesh.

Shortly after I began fishing for more open water and pelagic fish in salt (roosters and dorado in particular) I started wondering what the key was.

First thing I learned is that FLASH MATTERS. Sometimes it is good, but alot of times it is VERY BAD. After about 10 refusals from roosters one day, I tore all the flash out of my fly and then proceeded to hook the next 4 fish.

It also became apparent to me that not every fly that I had in my box was equal. 2 flies that looked the same to me (same pattern, size, and color) varied greatly in effectiveness. I've literally gone from having refusal after refusal to hooking every single fish bu simply putting on a different fly in the same pattern. This is very hard to explain for me. Maybe one simply swims differently than the other.

This stuff made me think that action and retrieve matter alot, but it is only a part of the combination.

I think now that the way the fly moves the water around it matters a great deal. Not only a visual stimuli to the fish, but also a sonic, or sub sonic vibration.

Pelagics seem to be able to "find" a live bait teaser from hundreds of feet away, the second it hits the water. It cant be purely visual.

I wonder if others have had these similar experiences and what they have done to their fly design to adapt.

Cheers.

Matt
Mangrove Cuckoo

Sudesh FP - Salt Flies

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Amen to using restraint when adding flash!

I tell my students to look at flash as one would spice in cooking... a little pinch can make a big difference, but the novice cook or fly tier can easily add too much and spoil the whole thing!
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Sudesh FP - Salt Flies

Post by Paul Arden »

I very much agree with this, however the Danish have a successful Christmas Tree fly that is all flash. Which I can't explain. I haven't had the two flies looking identical experience yet :p In fact sometimes it's hard to just identify the pattern. :cool:

I think what the fly does static is critical. Interesting that Sudesh is getting takes on the pause, I find this with trout but most SW fish I find like the next movement, carp too. Would love to know the type of SW fish. By the same token some chasing fish will take the fly when it stops whereas others require it speeded up. They all seem to love a change of direction.

I think eyes could be a trigger. But I don't have enough experiments to back this.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Morsie

Sudesh FP - Salt Flies

Post by Morsie »

You guys need to read my book..... :cool:

Morsie
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.
Janesch

Sudesh FP - Salt Flies

Post by Janesch »

Morsie wrote:You guys need to read my book..... :cool:

Morsie
True that.
Just read it the other day.
Can`t wait ice to melt down, as i`m sure it`ll improve some faults on freshwater i make before.

Cheers,
Janko
"Plenty of time to sleep when you`r dead" Trout bum narrator...

"Your grandmas honey palinka taste like somebody poured gasoline on my pancakes." Rich Knoles
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Sudesh FP - Salt Flies

Post by Paul Arden »

Hopefully this summer in Hungary I'll have some more time for reading. Yours can be my annual book read, Morsie!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Morsie

Sudesh FP - Salt Flies

Post by Morsie »

Are you going to make it this far this year Paul?
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Sudesh FP - Salt Flies

Post by Paul Arden »

Yes but not this trip, Morsie. I expect to be over in November. Thinking Tassie, Exmouth and Thailand/Malaysia next trip.

Flycasting Definitions
Flybye

Sudesh FP - Salt Flies

Post by Flybye »

I have had quite a few Bass off the UK coast on static/semi static flies, (the first when rolling a cigarette with the rod tucked under my arm) and lots on the first couple of pulls. Now I rarely bother to "spin with a fly rod"
I would love to read your book Mosie whats the title/isbn or whatever.
TK
Morsie

Sudesh FP - Salt Flies

Post by Morsie »

Best to get it direct from me.

There's a line in the book in the chapter on retrieves that I heard from Tasmanian guide Chris Bassano "Sometimes I think the only reason we move a fly is so we can stop it".

Morsie

Return to “Saltwater”