PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Road Kill

Moderator: Viking Lars

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Road Kill

Post by Paul Arden »

Gary's FP http://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/sick-humor

Thanks Gary for another great read!

I think my worst roadkill incident was shortly after picking up Hecht Peter who was visiting me for a month of NZ fly fishing, coming from Easy Germany. A very nice guy who, despite being a professional body builder in his youth, wouldn't hurt a fly.

After picking him up from the airport we proceeded to drive to Lake Benmore quite a ways from Christchurch. As we were approaching the lake we were driving down a gravel road, foot to the metal, in the Red Herring. It was dark and a wallaby jumped across in front of the headlights and we collided. Wallabies were introduced to NZ some years back and there is a small population of them still. One less.

Unfortunately the wallaby was still alive but in a bad way. So the most humane thing to do was to drive over it a again to put it out of its misery. Which I did.

Unfortunately this didn't work, and so I had to drive over the poor thing a third time to finally kill it. And so Peter was introduced to NZ. He'd never seen a wallaby before and I explained that they're not native and he was lucky to see one because sightings are pretty rare.

I have another interesting story too. Back when I was around 16 or 17 I used to cycle to the local reservoir. There was one spot on the very edge of town where I found a roadkill squirrel. So I did what we would all do and chopped off the tail. Amazingly the next day I found another and in the same place, so chopped the tail off too. And then on the third day I was lucky enough to find a third! All in the same place. Now I had three squirrel tails from the same spot. I only took the tails however and left the rest of the carcass there. But each day the previous tail-less carcass had gone. I've often wondered what the person who buried the squirrel bodies had to make of finding three tail-less road-kill squirrels outside their home :D

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
OLDGOLD
Answers: 0

Road Kill

Post by OLDGOLD »

Reminds me of my heron story.....
Now the heron, barstool son of the devil that it can be to pond owners, is a protected species in Britain......

Many moons ago I studied martial arts and own a katana sword. I woke up one morning and gazed out of the kitchen window to see Mr Heron busy eyeing up the fish in my pond. So, grabbing my sword in one hand I dash out of the house and swipe at the perfidious piscavore.

I miss...he takes off just in time. It is then I realise that I am just wearing my pants. Probably not the neighbors favourite morning sight...
t.z.

Road Kill

Post by t.z. »

http://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/d ... nd-lagopus

this one was a good finner and fly tying material to boot.
RudyV

Road Kill

Post by RudyV »

that's hilarious... I can just picture you making sure that wallaby is dead good and proper - poor thing was just thinking "yay, I survived getting hit by a car" and wham!

Return to “Flytying”