PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Shrimp fly

Moderator: Viking Lars

crh611
Answers: 0

Shrimp fly

Post by crh611 »

Thought I would post a picture of a shrimp fly that I tied in between casting practice, reading casting instructions ( hence the J. Borger back drop). Any feedback on the flytying would be greatly appreciated.

VR
Charles
Attachments
IMG_2457.JPG
t.z.

Shrimp fly

Post by t.z. »

difficult so say as one doe not see very much on the pic, to be honest .... what do the fish say? any eating it?
crh611

Shrimp fly

Post by crh611 »

T.Z. ,
My apologies for the photo quality, I will read up on photography on the board as well. Waiting on the rod, reel and line to get here and I will be able to answer the last question. I will attempt a better pic and repost for some pointers, as I have stated before you advice is always appreciated.

Regards
Charles
t.z.

Shrimp fly

Post by t.z. »

no worries, however light does of course help as well as shooting while the fly from the side while it is still in the vice. You could also make a short video with your smartphone. One gets a much better idea what the fly looks like than.
t.z.

Shrimp fly

Post by t.z. »

like this ... very easy to do with a smartphone and instagram or fcebook https://www.instagram.com/p/Bb0Fr5XH8PE/
crh611

Shrimp fly

Post by crh611 »

T.Z.,
Hope this is of quality allowing you to give your valued feedback.
Regards
Charles
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l6h4hjiypmg7a ... p.mov?dl=0
t.z.

Shrimp fly

Post by t.z. »

Congratulations. That video gives a good impression.

Sit down, have a warm beverage ...

It´s looks like a sturdy fly and you have tried various techniques on it. I don´t know the weight you used there in the front, so I can´t comment on it. I just hope it is not too heavy.

I imagine the fly looking rathe daft and dead in the water. Reason I believe this is the amount of material you have used, which is a classical beginners approach. Try about a third of what you have tied on there. You also might familiarize yourself with the dubbing loop technique. As far as I understand are shrimp to be constructed like "oversized woolly buggers" - so tying a woolly bugger first might be a good intermediate step.

Tying agood shrimp is difficult as one has to imagine what it would like in the water. Try your creation in the bathtub and see what it looks and behaves like.

Have a look at this pattern. I´d say it could very well be fished as a shrimp imitation. http://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/s ... vaskebjorn
crh611

Shrimp fly

Post by crh611 »

T.Z.,
Thank you for the valuable feedback and mentoring it is greatly appreciated. I did use the dubbing loop technique however I can see where I used to much material I thought I could use more with that technique obviously that’s what I get for thinking when I am not used to it ;) I will give it another go and useless dubbing. Thanks for the additional video as well.

Regards
Charles
P.S. not cold enough here in Fla. for a warm beverage so I opted fo a Crowl Royal Apple Over ice and yes it hit the spot :)

Return to “Flytying”