PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Lars on Griffith Gnat

Moderator: Viking Lars

Harps
Answers: 0

Lars on Griffith Gnat

Post by Harps »

http://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/griffiths-gnat
Great page.

I love this pattern- it’s an underrated staple in my Fly box.

But, I think the grizzly hackle adds to the sense of moving or buzzing wings - I can’t say I’ve tied one without at least a grizzly hackle mixed with another colour.

Does anybody add wings? I add a small deer hair tail and an upright wing to help me see it on the water- I’m not sure who showed me that variation.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Lars on Griffith Gnat

Post by Paul Arden »

That's a great addition. I sometimes add a marabou tail and a tungsten bead!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Boisker

Lars on Griffith Gnat

Post by Boisker »

I’ve never added a wing, I must try that as a size 24 at 40’ is ‘tricky’ to spot...
I often add a a really small tail of some sort of crystal flash type material, prob only a couple of mm- something someone suggested to me, the idea being it mimicked it breaking out it’s shuck it small it bubble; not sure either of the two reasons hold water, but it has worked and enticed a take when the plain version hasn’t.

One of my favourite flies last season... I carry a couple of midge patterns, but the griffiths was usually the successful one. When the fish are being really fussy I cut the underside hackle flush, so it sits really low in the water; doesn’t make it any easier to see, but it does catch more!
t.z.

Lars on Griffith Gnat

Post by t.z. »

Hi,

I do them with whatever hackle colour. Maybe their name changes then? No idea ... for the finned ones the pattern is always called FOOD in big letters.

One mans 18 is another mans 24. I fish them in size 16 mostly. Black hackle works very well on stillwaters here. I have also at some point added a piece of tinsel, but don't do that any more.

I just found an old email from a client who'd ordered 90 (sizes 20, 18 and 14) of them. Those I tied with silver hackle. Seemed to have done the trick. He was a rather wealthy bloke with very good manners. His writing sounded like being from another century. He came to me at a fishing show in Munich and inspected my Griffith's with a magnifying glass. He loved the fact that the hackle seems to be pointing forwards in a way. For him this was very important. He was shopping gear for a spring trip to Slovenia fishing grayling. He had good access as he fished with some highly ranked local politicians and business people. He also was a good friend of the late Mr. Pitznbaur, the fisherman many believing being the "inventor" of the tippet ring. In German these are called Pitznbaur-Ring.

The chap got so excited about the quality and catchiness of the the fly that he felt the needed to call me from Slovenia. Back in the day a cellphone wasn't very common and a mobile connection from such a remote place was really expensive. Good he didn't reach me. It would hav cost him a fortune. Anyway, he wrote me mail after he had tried calling me from Slovenia.

Lieber Herr Züllich,

ihre Fliegen sind ausgezeichnet. Am Morgen des 7. Mai habe ich mit Ihrer mittelgroßen Gnat
18 Äschen gefangen. Besonders zu erwähnen, dass ich mit EINER Fliege etwa 8 oder 9 Fische
fing, ohne dass sie auch nur den geringsten Verschleiß aufwies!

Habe Sie dann vom Fluss aus anrufen wollen, konnte Sie aber nicht erreichen.
Am Nachmittag und abends mit dem größeren Muster noch mal etwa 25 Äschen und 3 Forellen.
Jetzt fahre ich wieder hin und bin 2 Tage an der Sava Bohijnka bei Bled und dann ab dem 16.
am Unec. Da ist die Äsche dann frei und ich kann mir jeden Abend eine Portion servieren lassen.
Vormittags bin ich immer auf dem Golfplatz von Bled und spiele eine Runde.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen und Petri Heil

Dear Mr. Züllich,

your flies are excellent. On the morning of May 7 I caught 18 grayling with your medium-sized gnat
Especially to mention that with only one fly I had about 8 or 9 fish without showing even the slightest wear!

Tried to call you from the river, but could not reach you.

In the afternoon and evening with the larger pattern brought in about 25 grayling and 3 trout. I'm going back and I'm heading out again and will stay 2 days on the Sava Bohijnka at Bled and then from the 16. at the Unec. There the grayling is free and I can have a serving every evening.

In the morning I am always on the golf course of Bled and play a round.

Sincerely and tight lines
Viking Lars

Lars on Griffith Gnat

Post by Viking Lars »

Hey Harps!
Sorry I didn't notice this sooner :-).
No, I've never added wings - sometimes a tail, but I actually never do anymore. I've used black, grizzle, dark dun and brown hackles and I can honestly say that I really don't think it makes a difference :-).

This is one of very few dries where I actually don't mind a grizzle hackle (on most others it's way too bright and very few insects have black/white legs :-), so just to use some, I tie them with grizzle hackles.

Also very much a staple in my boxes, but somehow I find myself tossing it into stillwater more than streams... I've no idea why.

Lars
t.z.

Lars on Griffith Gnat

Post by t.z. »

Boisker wrote:I’ve never added a wing, I must try that as a size 24 at 40’ is ‘tricky’ to spot...
I often add a a really small tail of some sort of crystal flash type material, prob only a couple of mm- something someone suggested to me, the idea being it mimicked it breaking out it’s shuck it small it bubble; not sure either of the two reasons hold water, but it has worked and enticed a take when the plain version hasn’t.

One of my favourite flies last season... I carry a couple of midge patterns, but the griffiths was usually the successful one. When the fish are being really fussy I cut the underside hackle flush, so it sits really low in the water; doesn’t make it any easier to see, but it does catch more!
Have you tried tying them "twisted style". I feel this adds to the deadliness as the whole thing seems being sort of spring loaded and bounces about.

here's what I mean by "twisted" https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd4-SuDjJVw/
Viking Lars

Lars on Griffith Gnat

Post by Viking Lars »

Yes, many times (I think this is how I was taught to tie them umpteen years ago), but I like a single peacock here, carefully wrapped as a hackle so make the fluff stand out. I think it looks so delicate and lovely :-).

Oh - and I often flush cut them on the underside as well...

Lars
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Lars on Griffith Gnat

Post by Paul Arden »

Do you Light Of Apgai the thread, Lars? :)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Viking Lars

Lars on Griffith Gnat

Post by Viking Lars »

Always - and you know it :-). However, smoke only seems to emit in certain circumstances :-).

Lars
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Lars on Griffith Gnat

Post by Paul Arden »

:D

I’m surprised the lampshades didn’t take off!

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flytying”