PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Fly of the Month.

Moderator: Viking Lars

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Fly of the Month.

Post by Paul Arden »

Sometimes I forget how many people read this Board. So let’s bring them in! What’s your fly of the month?

This has been mine of last week. I didn’t tie it but borrowed it from Zeljko. I can’t tell you what it is because it’s too small to see. :p

Cheers, Paul
Attachments
9AE21BA9-5D73-4C1C-98F3-014521E2FA7D.jpeg
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Fla
Answers: 0

Fly of the Month.

Post by Fla »

Apart from on Zeljkos Flies, I was also able to catch a few fish on the small fly below, which was just a downscaled copy of my "fly of the last few months" generic trout nymph.
FlyMonth.jpg
Cheers
Flavio
t.z.

Re: Fly of the Month.

Post by t.z. »

In June it si mostly buzzers and small stoneflies which are hatching here in the north. A lot of head and tail action at the surface. Fish take the flies very subtle and "in the front" So sharp, yet strong hooks are essential. I use AHREX since they came out with dry fly hooks and am very happy with them.

https://www.skalestrommen.no/fly-tying/cdc-humpy/
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Not necessarily this month... i’ve been using a generic small cdc sedge a lot.
But one of my most productive dry patterns over the last 3 seasons, size 14-18, covers pretty much all olives in the U.K... push the wing up and it’s a dun, push it flat and it’s great spinner...
I’ve got the wings a bit more uniform now, some of the ones above are a bit ‘rough’ :whistle:
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Very nice indeed. I use something similar, although uglier :D Have you tried Mika’s elastic band trick to dry them? I was thinking of inventing a mini-hairdryer but I guess that idea is redundant now :laugh:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Cheers Paul.... I did use an elastic band for a while, attached to a vest... but more recently have been using a waist pack and for some reason still haven’t tied an elastic band on it... so have just been using ‘frogs fanny’ type product... I should remember to sort an elastic band :whistle:
t.z.

Post by t.z. »

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I’m a big fan of the Humpy. Although I skip the deer hair nowadays and use foam. It was the best way I could find of floating a dun pattern on a bonefish hook :laugh:

Flycasting Definitions
t.z.

Post by t.z. »

Skålestrømmen is one of the places the E. Vulgata hatches. Since we are so far north, it is around 2 to 3 weeks later than the places in the South. Now the mating of these huge mayflies is in full swing. Their mating dance is a sight to behold.

rusty

Post by rusty »

The Extra-Terrestrial
Attachments
IMG_0206.jpeg

Return to “Flytying”